Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is FM getting more difficult to get? - homie
hey homie , he has the offer from texas, san antonio i think
but homie , you know what, some of the white residents here tell me that once they graduate they will work in EM. its like 100-120$ / hr. so even if they work 20 days a mth , they feel they will make good money. Basically ppl are going in for FM as a better lifestyle and less work related stress.
who has an offer from texas getaway?
If you all guys think only about money you will get really frustrated after compelting residency
I applied to all FM programs only, and the only reason is that I want to be a PCP. I'd really like seeing familiar faces again and an opportunity to take care of an entire family. I admire the patient-physician relationship and interaction.
bird77. you are right. it should be what we like to do.

a few of those planing to apply to family as backup is a wrong move. what they may not realized is that if they do not like family medicine, they will be miserable.

if they plan to get into one year to get experience and get out in family is even bigger mistake. unless they are in a prelimanary program then it is okay but categorical will be a problem.

from my understanding is that, the funding during their residency is paid through U.S gov't, not the hospital. when they get accepted into a family categorical, they got three yrs funding. if they used up one year, they got only two left. so that is what i heard.
The reason FM is getting harder to get into is as a direct result of us FMGs.

As many of you have pointed out, FM is one of the lowest paid areas of medicine. It also tends to have less prestige and acedemic research.

As such, most AMGs are not attracted to it. Also, their training encourages them to go into more specialized areas.

That being said, FMGs have long realised that Primary Care areas are less competitive, so every year, FMGs flock to IM, Psych, FM and Peds.

And every year, there are more and more FMGs applying.

The number of AMGs that matched last year really only increased by about 500 or so, not a huge percentage compared to how many usually matched, but each year, as hard as it may be to get a position, more and more FMGs make it into the match.

We really are not competing with AMGs, we are competeting among ourselves.

I will say, what depresses me, is not that its harder to get into a particular area. What depresses me is that I truly believe that many FMGs choose these areas ONLY because they want to work and live in the US.

I personally get annoyed when I see someone say that they are applying to Peds because they hear that it is easier to get into. Regardless of the credentials. There are people out there who are serious about primary care, but there are so many peopl who only want to use it as a means to an end.

Oh well, that will never change I guess.

All the best to everyone in their search, no matter what your area, and no matter what your reason.

Have a good night

Tweets
Tweets,
I'm 100% with you. It makes me sick when I have to compete with someone who's not even interetested in FM. But you know what, programs have learned that and if you notice in the criteria, most progams do mention that they're looking for "Sincere interest" in FM and that needs to be reflected in your past experience in FM and LORs from FM docs. They can tell when you're not sincere, sooner or later, it shows.
Com'on guys, if you are really NOT into the money, why come to the US. and serve the White people? If you really like FM that much, why not do it in your own country? political persecution? hate your own countrymen?can't get alone with your colleagues?

FM and Im are similar. If you like to be PCP, you can still be an internist. Fm docs are looked down by the other specialties b/c its not competitive. For AMGs, a lot of them do it b/c low scores, only small portion of AMG do it b/c they really like it.
Another Pearl from the great man from ob/gyn he switched to FM

Re:Is FM getting more difficult to get?
getaway_brian - 09/08/08 23:28

guys i am doin a FM residency in a rural area. I just started this year. PPL in FM after graduating start with pretty decent salaries. I know an Indian who has an offer of around $190000. As a result its getting tougher. Low stress job, with decent salary. As far as moonlighting , you can really boost your income if you are ready to put in the extra hours
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »