Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ethics dilemma.. answer please - tracemle
mental age 2, age 50, patient with terminal condition... is she capable of making decisions on her own...?

HIV patient refuses to tell his wife - do you tell it to the wife or to the authorities...?

1, if patient is conscious,she can take decision.

2. doc shud not inform wife or other authority,he can encourage and discuss with patient to tell his wife.
guest78....

There is a different view to both these questions in Fischer..?

That is why I'm confused.

Accdg to the Kaplan Ethics book, we should tell the wife about it. And I think it makes sense. I mean, though confidentality is importatnt everywhere else, here it also means someone else is at risk. If there ws an option, encourage patient to tell his wife, that is best, but what if there is no such option..?

that other situation... usually anyone less that 18 cannot give consent for many procedures. here the patient's mental age is just 2. So how can she give consent.. or refuse treatment.... or ask for treatment..? is mental age more important or chronological age...?
chronolog age is imp here. as far as i know from Dr Fisch.

and u cant tell patients HIV status to anyone,even wife until u take permission from patient.

wait for other members opinion,but i m more or less sure here.
and what about this one...

doctor on the highway.. sees an RTA victim on the road... takes him to nearby hospital, patient gets a spinal trauma because he ws not transported properly...

is the doctor liable to be punished or not..?
dont know it,dint read this topic for less time. but guess yes if it can be proved that the trauma was only due to faulty transport,nothing else. let me know the answer.
guest78

don't think this is going to get asked because they say the laws differ from state to state, just like so many other things do, in this confusing contradictory and yet, 'powerful' nation..! read the following link

http://definitions.uslegal.com/g/good-samaritans/
1.A patient with mental age of 2 can not make decision for his conditions.This is why we assess the mental status.To decide if the patient is capable of making a decision.

2.In such condition we should convince the patient to tell his partner in our presence,even about other STDs that affect other person.

3.As I remember from CK kaplan lectures;"If you see a victim of a car accident or any other situation "we do not want you to stop".If you stop proceed as any other person will proceed".Call for help and asses the VS.Help as much as you can in that situation.You do not have any other instument except your knowledge and your hands.If you can not do anything at list do not harm.In that situation where the patient is quadriplegic or hemiplegic for life nobody can help you.You will face the consequences.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »