Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is the most sensitive and specific test ????? - chimerausmle
What is the most sensitive and specific test to diagnose the Intestinal Obstruction ??

A) Abdominal X Ray (Erect)
B) Barium Enema
C) CT Abdomen without Contrast
D) CT Abdomen with Contrast
E) History and Physical
Friends,

Seems everyone is confused over here. This is a very important question and it is very easy to miss this one, thinking we are 100% correct.

..chimerausmle
i am looking for the choice that says....abdomen films/acute sries!

so i will go with .... ~ E ........my choice for an answer

A ...is for looking for free air under the diaphgram!

good question...makes you think real hard for an apparently easy topic..i guess not that easy...
ct without contrast
I searched extensively on the net and heres my meta-analysis Smile

Plain radiographs are diagnostically more accurate in cases of simple obstruction; however, diagnostic failure rates of as much as 30% have been reported. In one small study, the sensitivity of plain radiographs was reported as 75%, and specificity was reported to be 53%. Similar findings were reported in a second study.

CT scanning is about 90% sensitive and specific in detecting SBO.

CT scanning does not require oral contrast for the diagnosis of SBO because the retained intraluminal fluid serves as a natural contrast agent.
Good attempts guyz ! Ai appreciate it.

Well, the answer is DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

CT With Contrast is the Most Sensitive and Specific Test to Diagnose Intestinal Obstruction. But is only done if History and Physical and "X Ray Abdomen" are equivocal.

So remember the sequence guyz !

If the patient comes with clear evidence of Intestinal Obstruction, the next step is "Abdomen X Ray" (which shows air fluid level and small bowel distension)

Ref: Premier GI Review

...chimerausmle
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »