Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USMLE better than PLAB ?? -
BBB

Please let me know.Thanks for the answer.I wnat the opinion from many students. I have completed my postgraduation 3years back.
But i want to go for residency in west but confused between USA or Uk wife is having GC.
55m

yes
drsmith

take usmle exams i think
imran

Go for usmle , but still there are pros and cons. Usmle is more expensive and if you do not have a good score , its tough to get a residency. Of course your postgraduate may help. Do be prepared to spend at least a year studying for Step 1 and 2 , maybe more than that.You do not seem to have the visa issues , but i am not familiar about how much the green card will help you versus a citizenship , with which i think it is very simple.
Plab is cheaper and as far as i know visa is easy . Plab is also simpler , most guys in my class did PLAB along with house jobs while those going for Usmle had to sit down and study about 10 hrs a day for a year before clearing Step 1 and 2.
But the major advantage of Usmle is that once u get a residency and are in the system it is much simpler. U do not have to worry about a new job for next 3 years.And doctors are in demand in USA.You may however feel it is degrading to again to start from scratch in USA because you will have to do a residency before doing a fellowship.Along with the other fresh graduates. If u have done 3 years postgraduate training i assume u have done a fellowship. Well u will have to do another fellowship here. I am not 100% sure but from the forums i have read that there is over saturation of doctors in England and doctors take about 8 to 9 months to get a job . Its tough there. So find out how is the market for Plab before going there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »