Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Categorical General Surgery - audrey
They insist on post graduate training in your home country and also expect you to be a fresh graduate. hows that possible. we would have spent 1 to 2 years after mbbs to get a gen surgery seat.so that's 5 years since graduation.
and a year or two for USMLE as well.
hope this thread helps the future aspiring surgeons.
When I started my journey - I was not aware of these simple statistics.

I think the bottom line is categorical gen surg is a tough match. I know it's possible, and every year people make it! I am working in the US in a surgery research lab- and i know a bunch of ppl who matched here- none of them have stellar CV's. In fact as far as US MG are concerned, Gen Surg is a mid level competitive specialty. Derm, ENT, Plastics, Orth are much much more tough.

I know as an FMG each individual is a unique case. To make it to interview shortlists one needs high step scores, letters, and pref not requiring a visa. To make it to the rank list, a good interview, and a strong CV is key.

What I would be interested in knowing, is what kinda scores people who matched 'ACTUALLY' had, and how much research etc. Because looking at the stats from 2007, IMG's who matched average step scores of people who matched was something like 222/ 224, which is a far cry from the 240+ requirements i hear people claim are 'minimum!' The average research was 3 abstracts/ publications/ presentations

What are your thoughts on this?
you do have plenty of info on hand.
I agree with your info as well.
You are lucky to see a good few of your known friends matching into cat spots. But, the reality is - the numbers are less. 50-60 per year. If its a small number, its a small number. If its a big number to you - its big!

About scores, I do know people who got matched with out double 99's.
I do hear this from many of y friends- both matched and in prelims.

At the end, one, atleast myself, does like to give it a try.

I am just finding it difficult to convince my conviction........

I might be wrong once i fail. as of now JDI.....

guys, the summary is that getting a cat spot in surgery is really difficult for an FMG, especially without a GC/citizenship but that should not stop you from trying. Every year, thousands of FMGs apply to surgery but less than 5% are able to match directly to cat. Looking at the surgery match threads in this forum for the past couple of match years further underscores the situation. only 3-4 report matching to a categorical position each year. SAD.
For IMGs, getting into Categorical Gen Surgery Residency is undoubtedly very difficult, but not impossible. Must keep in mind though, the following factrors:

1) Some programs don't consider IMGs at all- whatever your credentials: A top ranker from your university, scores of 99/99/99 and CS pass, all in first attempt, research papers published in reputed journals, US clinical experience. As far as these programs are concerned, they would rather take an average AMG, but not a star IMG. Most of the programs fall into this category. It is sheer waste of money and effort, applying to these programs.

2) There are some programs who are open minded and who would welcome quality IMGs into their program. If you have USMLE scores above 95, passed in first attempt, have excellent MSPE, you are not an old grad, have good LORs, you may expect an interview call from these programs. Rest depends on how well you do in the interview.

3) Then there are some programs who are definitely more inclined to take IMGs, mainly because quality AMGs do not rate these programs too high. It is a mutually benificial arrangement, where both the programs and the IMGs. Ofcourse, you have to have good credentials.

4) If you do not have great credentials and if you are also an old grad, the only hope of getting into a categorical surgery spot is through the preliminary route. Rather difficult, but certainly not impossible, especially if you happen to land in a community program, which are known to convert a small portion of their prelims into cats.

5) All said and done, your luck plays an important role, to put you in the right spot at the right time!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »