Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anybody help me out with this question - buif
Hi everybody. I hope everything is going smoothly for all of us. I want to know if it is legal to stay in the U.S further than the expiration date of my I-94 with the only documentation of having my I-539 (Application To Extend) under process. I know it takes 2.5 month to get a decision.
Who is the person with more ivs in this forum so far?

Good luck to everyone!
It is leagal.
Thanks youngdb. Did you go over the same situation or you know somebody who did? I went through the uscis web page but Ive not got that information.
Do you know where can I check for that information?
If U r visiting for the first time don,t extend , u will be in trouble for next visit.
Thanks cn2008. This is my 4th time in the States. Anybody else can give me an input on this?
I did a little research about what was said in this forum before if it can help not only me but anyone in the same ship.

americaforheck - 09/30/08 15:34

You should be fine if you apply on time within your i 94 expires. Normally it takes time for the office to review. You can stay as long as you recieve an approval or denial. Your i 94 is void the time they recieve your application.You will be given a new i94 if it is approved.Mostly it gets denied but you can stay until you get a mail from them. It is kind of buying time.
If you recieve the denial they will specify the time period to leave the country. My best bet is to leave the country asap. You should be fine giving interviews by then. If you are done with the interviews,you may cancel the application ar leave as it is.
But most important HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTS YOU SEND FOR THE USCIS: IT WILL BE NEEDED WHEN YOU ARRIVE NEXT TIME .
Visit uscis and get information. Not in this forum. May be immihelp or other forums will help.
Com'on you are a doctor.You should be able to talk yourself way in if you have problems at POE. I bet you won't have problems if you apply on time.
Hope it clears the doubt.Cause I have also applied for the externsion.

Thanks americaforheck...
I know a lot of people with similar situation. My father applied for extension and stayed leagally while waiting for the approval notice a few years ago. I believe that you can get this information through USCIS. You can call them if you have doubt.
Sure I can. I will look for an official statement i just wanted to have an idea of how it works and I do now thanks to you all.

God bless us!!
It is Illegal. My aunt did that, waiting for the extension application decision and finally had to spend 3000 $ to get an attorney and prove that she overstayed from what was allowed on her I-94 for medical reasons.
The best bet is go any nearby country and come back.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »