Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing of applications - belibi
Many programs still practice the first come first serve policy in terms of allocating the interview invitations. However, if they feel like the quality of applicants is not to their satisfaction, they save some interview slots for those who applied late. Those programs tend to be community programs with th exception odf some of the university IMG-dominated programs like Wayne State University. THey are generally very much score-oriented in terms of the selection process. I personally find those programs of less quality.

THe better quality programs are not in hurry to fill their interview slots, they usually go to the match, often community prorgams AMG dominated or university programs.
Some of them even wait till Nov 1st when the dean's letters are releasd to start calling applicants. They tend to call IMGs late because they want to see how many AMG applications they gonna get and what kind of AMG they gonna get. Based on that they make a decision to call a certain number of IMGs. Ironically, their selection process is not heavily based on scores but things like green card, location (for ex if you live in Oklahoma city, you may be more likely to get an IV in Oklahoma University), scores still count but to lesser extent.

You will be surprised to see that IVs cont to flow all the way till Dec and sometimes even Jan.
Why? you may still receive IVs because those programs in category 1 gave away prematches and candidates cancelled their interviews.
You may even receive IVs from high quality programs in Dec, because they have made enough calculations in regards to how their match is going to go with AMGs based on the type of applications they receive, and decided to call some IMGs to fill the remaining spots.

I remember in my program, when applications were coming, they will start predicting how many AMGs may match with them. If they had 6 medical students applying from the same university. They could know how many are truly interested in matching with them. If they ended up with 4 truly interested, they would look among those coming from out of town and see who has ties may be genuinely interested. If one had his fiance in town and wanted to stay there, he was added in the most likely potentially satying candidate. Based on the number really wanting to stay, they would add may be 2-3 that could end up there just randomly. Usually they would be left with 2 to 8 slots that they should prepare to fill and would decide to interview a certain number of IMGs 5 or 6 for 2 slots or 20 for 8 according to their prediction. I saw them send invitations to IMGs till Jan because based on initial IVs they felt like the ones they got were not a good fit and needed to interview more.

So what I am saying here is that you need to keep fighting till the end. Those receiving IVs in Jan may even be more likely to match in university programs if they interview well.

Dr. Belibi
bump
I really don't uderstand what are you trying to say. You are making calculations, and predictions as if you know the policies of all programs in the US !!!

University programs are not score oriented and choose you based on the location of your fiance ?????? ok, I will have a fiance in each state I get IV in !!!!!!! That's BS man !!!!! please stop posting bogus information !!!! The only thing which can get u matched in University program with average scores is strong contacts.

the categories you are talking about are not very useful for us simply because AMG dominated programs are the programs we call "non friendly", so who cares about their policies ???? The people who match in such programs are a minority. those are the people with very strong applications or very strong contacts. those are the people who have many IVs by now, so they are not worried and not waiting for your post to reassure them !!!!!

Are you trying to say that people who didn't get IVs till now shouldn't worry because they are gonna match in Harvard ?????? Don't you know that all those with good crds are preparing now for IVs and accepting prematches ?? Don't you know that people reading your post are those with multiple attempts, low scores, old graduates with gaps .......etc ?? So you suggest that those kind of applicants will get IVs from AMG dominated university programs ?????? Get a life dude !!
ppl plz calm down and have hope&faith!
i think that this gentleman is not wasting his time to misguide ppl!! the whole issue is that he is an old fmg....his info and help goes to yrs back! it is not working for today's life!! particularly, things have changed dramatically this yr!!
i am getting help from many senior residents&frnds....even if they are in the program, they are shocked to see this yr matching!
If he wants to have a good sale for his book&service...he HAS TO GET SOME UPDATED INFO TO HELP US OUT! And of course, the pain is this one is asking for whole bunch of money for those old info!!Sad
lets have hope&faith! i am very nervous, but it is not going to do any good. Lets pray and believe that God is going to make a way! plz keep in mind that we dont need to listen to wht ppl say here and there!! gl
I donot think Dr.Rock is absoultely wrong.

Infact at many points he is very right even though with this compittive times.I havenot taken his services but I was following his posts and quite agree at many points with his suggestions for those who are struggling for match.

yes...some of his advises are coolSmile and good!
but he really needs to updated/refresh the info.
May God help us this yr!
Oh oh guys. Don't get crazy about my posts.
If you don't like what I say, when you see my name don't read. I am trying to help some of you who need some guidance.

Somebody said I am an old IMG. Well, I got into residency in 2004, and since then, I have coached people who get into residency every year and i am well aware of the changes.

In my time, e-mailing Pds before the process starts was a great way to connect with programs, nowadays, programs are floaded with e-mails and do not like it much, so I have stopped recommending that.
There are several adjustments that I make when providing advice based on experience and my own position in an academic center.

How do I know about what I talk about? Simple, I speak with chief residents, PDs in my onw institution and elsewhere. My wife was in her residency selection committee as a resident.

I interacts with a lot of people and get to learn insights of things. I read extensively on academia, selection process ect.

Simple: Don't get into the habit of criticizing just to do so. If you have a point to make or you don't agree with one point, just say so, and move on. You spend too much time trying to decorticate every word of my posts. that is counterproductive.

Remain focus on the task ahead.

I receive hundreds of feedbacks a week on my post and as long as it benefits the majority, I will keep posting. Those who don't like them should just ignore my posts.

I am here to help, not to poison your life.

have a great week-end

Dr. Belibi
hey belibi..... don't u get it!!!!!! we oant your Bogus advise.... U CAN KEEP MAKING FOOLS OF THE SUCKERS who u are sometimes able to ... bait.... your book is big time shit...
flipped thru one of my friends... who was regretting getting it......
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »