Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice needed....prematch offer - brd850
Once again, there is a lots of opinions, I agree that many people are "desperate for a position, and will just accept anything" (quoting form previous person) but you should consider that you are still IMG, and on a Visa, Depends also about the US embassy in your country , how easily are they issuing visas even for the next interview Chance. One of my classmates got stuck after he rejected his pre match, he has also great credentials! But also many programs will also choose GC with average scores, and USCE IMG than only fresh high scored IMG (more true about community hospitals and small programs). Every situation has pro and con, you know your case better.

Good Luck!
@duloxetine
Contracts are given for 1 year at a time.PDs will leave you at the end of 1 year if yuo have logical reasons for that.It happens all the time unless they are like the egotists that we have back home.But maybe you know more about the Brooklyn breed of PDs than I do.

I simply advised him to apply for a PGY1 position and not a PGY2 slot again next year.He will not need a LOR form the PD for that.2/3 from other faculty with whom he can build up a rapport will obviously help.My advise is based on facts...similar stories.At the end its a personal decision...but be aware of all the possibilities and then decide.
have seen many applying after the first year of residency... contracts are signed for 1 year only, never for 3 years at a time.
@safetypin, infact i have seen few people doing that. but i really dont encourage people taking that as their plan no 1. there is just too many risks down that road. the Pd wont help you, if the pd wont help, the other faculties wont help, no LOR means almost useless USCE, and the other programs you are interviewing at- they will think you are not loyal enough. its just a bad precedent.

@freakofmeds, seems like you have high score like mine, and you are consoling yourself. From my experience, it almost never matters what your 3 digit scores are. My fren with low 99, and me with high 99, both had the same amount of calls, almost the same type of programs, and he prematched in November!! lol! and while interviewing, i have seen the application that they have downloaded. there is no 3 digit score by default in there. if they want, they can write that down separately for consideration (which i saw them do only in 2 out of 12 programs).

so other things are far more imp than 3 digit score, coz after you have 99 you are all the same. i would like to believe otherwise, but it is not.

PS - the only place where 3 digit score matters is St Francis Evanston, where they calculate your weighted average of the score of all steps, and rank you in that way. But that system sucks. During the interview also, they dont talk about anything except the scores.
Dont even think to accept it man.you have very good score u will get whatever u want...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »