Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
good news for everyone - expmd
A friend of mine forwarded this message to me, didnt know how true it is

Barack Obama has assured the association that his government will introduce the bill
There will be an additional 15,000 residency slots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW DELHI: The United States administration is likely to introduce a bill in the Senate and the Congress to remove the federal cap on the intake of medical students, according to the Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI), a body of physicians of Indian-origin in India. This would benefit international students, including those from India.
According to Vinod K. Shah of the AAPI, President Barack Obama has assured the association that his government would introduce the bill to add an additional 15,000 residency slots.
This has been a long-standing demand of the AAPI to increase residency slots for medical graduates to facilitate more international students join post-graduate courses, Dr. Shah told journalists at the Global Healthcare Summit here on Saturday.
The maximum intake of students by various U.S. universities at present is 18,000 seats, of which around 16,000 are reserved for the U.S. citizens, leaving only 2,000 for international students.
œIf the bill is passed, it will benefit the students from India the most as they constitute about 30 to 40 per cent of the total international students selected to study in the U.S., Dr. Shah said.
Recognition of courses

The move is also expected to benefit India as it recently started recognising post-graduate medical courses obtained by Indian-origin students of five countries: the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
œAn official notification has been recently passed and included in the gazette to recognise PG medical courses certificates obtained by NRI students from these countries, Ketan Desai, President of the Medical Council of India, said.
Availing services

The move is to avail the services of students who receive expert training in these countries. They can start practising in India without going through any more tests, Mr. Desai added.
This year, the AAPI has roped in the British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (BAPIO) and top-notch Indian medical professional associations to make the summit a truly global one.
The summit will share best practices and experience from leading experts around the world to develop actionable plans for launching demonstration projects.
The focus will be on prevention, treatment and management of œpriority disease states in India with measurable metrics to ensure that
it's a good news but these slots will be increased gradually in the period of 10 yrs...........

http://aapiusa.org/news/article/aapi-sig...slots.aspx
edge!..did u expect them to increase 15,000 spots in ONe year??!!!!man some of u r soo fukin retarded!****.Tongue

so even if its a gradual process,even a 5 percent increase next year will help!!..better than what it is now.
so be happy!

cheers!
hmmm thats new for sure..but Dammm m sure most of these spots would be given to GC holders..n citizens!..SadSad

n yeh its gradual process..so who knows how long it would take to make a diffference to us.
bnp.......i dont give damn what u said to me and i just want to complete this news, thats it............
Even if it was gradual. 15000 positions over 10 years means an average increase of around 1500 positions every year.... that is a huge number. I think, but I am not sure, that AMGs applying every year increase by around 200-400 every year. This means more than 1000 new slots will be created for IMGs to fill.

I think this is great news.
hummm....seems great! hope we all get matched this yr, but thank God...seems this can help ppl in upcoming match!
How about Carib grad and DOs who are soon to be graduated...someone said they wud be around 1000-5000. Hope we get rid of all this stress soon, cant imagine of next matching game!
Many indian newspapers has covered this news. This particular one is from the front page on THE HINDU. Looks like its the story of the day
Until it happens then I will beleive. Yes, it's good news but this news has been circulating for a long time you can look in the usmleforum archives.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »