Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
good Question??? - thrombolyser
Bingo aaz u r also improving.
what is the reason of increasing creatinine in this pt although the BP has improved?
Captopril started at 25mg orally /6hrs and titrated up to 100mg/6 hrs

this is from CMDT..
actually i never grilled that topic so much so right now i dont know any thing more than u..
let me know if u find answers
his renal function continues to deteriorate. maybe he has bilat renal stenosis. so dd?
cc?
i totally agree with what azz said , it should be B
all things point that the pt is in renal crises ( hypertension, shistocytes , anemia ) , and that is the reason for the elevation of creatinine , from my study as i remembered we should give the maximal dose of ACE inhibitors because these are the sole agents that will control the kidney crises
BUT is creatinine jump above 2.5-3 we can still use it ??
do we need to look for Reanl artey stenosis or go for plasmapharesis as condition is same and its MAHA.....
The most appropriate management for this patient is further increasing his captopril dose. This patient was hospitalized with scleroderma renal crisis. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are believed to be the most effective agents for preserving or improving renal function in scleroderma renal crisis. Therefore, continuation of these agents is indicated even if the creatinine level continues to increase and the patient requires hemodialysis, because improvements in renal function with this therapy have been reported even after 18 months of dialysis. One-year survival of scleroderma patients with renal crisis has been shown to increase from 15% to 76% with aggressive treatment using ACE inhibitors.

Discontinuation of captopril is contraindicated in this patient. Although his creatinine levels have increased, his underlying renal crisis is responsible, not the ACE inhibitor. In addition, his blood pressure has not been fully controlled. Plasmapheresis does not help to manage scleroderma renal crisis. Moreover, this therapy is contraindicated in patients taking ACE inhibitors. Flushing, hypotension, and gastrointestinal symptoms have been shown to develop during plasmapheresis in patients receiving ACE inhibitors, possibly due to increased kinin generation.

Captopril renography is not indicated because this patient does not have increased risk for bilateral renal artery stenosis. His increasing creatinine level is not unexpected and should not raise clinical suspicion for an underlying process in addition to scleroderma renal crisis.
whts d answer btw
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »