Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please, i have a Question! - balu

I was wandering, can one take a step 3 before step 1? I startied my USMLE from backward, i already have CS and CK and sice i recently gave ck i thought, if it's possible i would take step 3 now since i was told step 3 is similar to ck. please guys, let me know if it's a good idea or if i'm allowed to take step 3 before step 1 ?

Thank you so much.
to take step 3 you need to be ECFMG certified. to be ECFMG certified you need to pass step 1 and 2. Therefore logically I think its not possible.

thank you so much mdinmd, i appriciate your input. i called kaplan and they told me i could take step 3 befor step 1, i was not sure so since you guys are experts i thought i would ask you. again, thank you for your respoce, much appriciated.
Balu, if kaplan told you that please confirm with them. I am new to this forum and not an expert. But logically I dont see how its possible. but stranger things have happened Smile

i tought i could find out here bit i guess i can actually call nbme to make sure, but thanks anyway, appriciate it.
You cant take step3 unless u r ecfmg certified, no question or doubt about it. you can look at fsmb.org and find these information and requirement
Kaplan doesn't conduct Step 3.
ECFMG doesnt conduct Step 3

FSMB is the authority on Step 3...FSMB website clearly states in order to take Step 3 you have to be ECFMG certified.
You can take Step1 and 2 in any order but you have to be ECFMG certified to take step 3

Look at it this way

Step 1 and 2 score and evaluate your ability to work under supervision and Step 3 evaluates you to work independently hence many states requiring PG training before they would allow you to sit for step 3

This is Q 4 on FSMB website FAQ about Step 3

4. Can I apply before medical school graduation or issuance of my ECFMG certificate or Fifth Pathway certificate?

No. As part of the USMLE requirements to take the Step 3, you should apply only after the date of graduation on your medical school diploma or the issue date of your ECFMG or Fifth Pathway certificate. (Recent medical school graduates can take up to six weeks to verify degrees before approval for Step 3).

If you submit a Step 3 application prior to graduation from medical school or issuance of the ECFMG or Fifth Pathway certificate your application will be cancelled and a portion of your fees forfeited.

HTH

Thank you so much drstethoscope, it is clear one can't do that, i think i will need to take on step 1 then. God bless and good luck with everything. thanks again and god bess you all.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »