Creds : 88/99/PASSED CS - all first attempt
Observership - 6 months
Research - 4 months (USA)
Publication - 1
oral presentation - 1
Good LORs
yog- 2001
Don't need visa (a big plus)
Several years of experience in the field that I matched in.

I think most programs look for good clinical knowledge, the ability to work as part of their team and willingness to take on responsibilities. Most programs disregard non hands-on observerships especially with doctors from your own country - ex Indian IMG with Indian doctor working here unless they are well known and widely regarded. So try to use that to get into observerships/ shadowing job with local doctors. Be clear as to what you want from the observership. Dont say I live nearby, so I decided to come.

Another suggestion is to work on your interview skills - make sure you listen to the questions and answer them as honestly as possible always playing up your positive points.

If you have passed exams with attempts - don's just say that you have family commitments or things like that - accepts this and say that you were not as well prepared as you thought. then quickly move on to say how your preparation improved the next time around and how you scored high - thus projecting yourself in a positive way.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

All the best to everyone.
Ok
Hi thanks for you advice, I have a huge gap in my cv for being forced to live under wars and conflicts, and I may not pass my cs too" I did not get the results yet" and if I don't I think becuase I was not well prepared, but I am afraid that that may indicate I have no much clinical experience, even now going into externships is almost impossible becuase of my family condition, I am haunted by the idea that Americans do not really appreciate that esp with the large number of qualified candidates coming each year, I will appreciate your input on this issue.. thanks
Did you match in em ? if so do u have experience in em ?
u shudnt have matched if it were not because of ur visa status
It's not that Americans don't understand your family conditions - they do...

It's not the gaps that really matter - it's what you are doing currently that matters. So work on building up your resume and focus on doing your exams well. Dont try and fill the gaps with incorrect details. Be honest.

Yes all candidates are very qualified, so do something that sets you apart. Always be pleasant and courteous.
Visa status help - but that's not the only reason they select candidates - I had very good LORs, a strong Dean's letter, Experience in UK, Research in a well known place here in the US and shadowed with people who picked up the phone and personally recommended me.
matched in IM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »