Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anybody willing to discuss this??? - uzma
POSTING FOR THE SECOND TIME.................
What if somebody matches at a non-integrated neurology program and cant find medicine prelim? I have a few calls in Neurology that come from nonintegrated programs ...and I have no medicine prelim interviews so far. Please let me know what you think ofthe whole situation.
Have you tried transitional year programs yet? Although they look like they are kind of overrun. Also many radiology applicants who try that first..
Could you do FP for one year and then switch?
I know it's possible for psych..

Uzma, as far as I know if you match with a non integrated neurology prog, and fail to match with a prelim program, you lose your neurology prog too. all the best, and hope you interview wth an integrated prog or a prelimimary medicine!
You should be sure to apply to prelim and transitional medicine programs in the same hospital/university as your neurology calls. Some prelim/transitional programs reserve spots for those ranked high on neurology/anesthesia/and other programs in the same hospital that start in the second year.

When you get interview offers from a neurology program, tell them you are very interested in interviewing with them but since you would prefer to schedule interviews back to back would like to wait a week before scheduling the interview to give the prelim medicine program at the same hospital more time to respond. The reason for wording it this way is that IF you are a strong candidate and IF the neuro PD has some influence over the prelim IM PD, the neuro PD may be able to call his colleague in the other department and request that they consider interviewing you. Since less than half of all neuro departments have this kind of influence over the prelim med spots and they could be offended if you ask, I would NOT recommend coming out and asking the PD directly if they can help get you an IM interview spot unless the residents in that program have already told you that it can be done.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »