Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME 12 section 3 answers. - borderline
22,29,36,37 PLZ SOMEONE EXPLAIN.. THX
For #28, the gout question, I'm sure you know that there's a lifestyle correlation to gout. Dietary causes account for about 12% of gout. A body mass index greater than or equal to 35 increases a male's risk of gout threefold. But other triggers include physical trauma and SURGERY!, so that's where the cholecystectomy comes in. WHY surgery is a trigger -- I don't know.
29 - Oxycodone - opioid - OVERDOSE = miosis, resp depression - using only these two parameters, you're left with F

36 - Proximal tubule of the kidney is where most of the work of reabsorption and secretion is done.

37 - I interpreted the question as potential pulmonary edema (can anyone confirm?) - therefore in order for fluid to move out (of the pulmonary venous circulation), there has to be an increased hydrostatic pressure (recall the Frank Starling forces for filtration)
there is a quest about enzyme levels of PEP carboxykinase, pyruvate carboxylase,F1,2bis,glucose6po4ase... can any1 pls explain..
question no.2 answer is D . decreased fecal elastase is seen with chronic pancreatitis
For no 31 ...I dunno correct me if my line of thought is mistaken..but if he's an alcoholic..which would mean a folate deficiency and hence RBc DNA synthesis is affected and this leads to macrophage destruction eventually in the spleen and this leads to hypersplenism?....and if someone could help me understand q48
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »