Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pneumonia - amigodamn
A 56-year-old woman with a history of asthma since childhood presents to her physician's office
because of a cough of 3 to 4 weeks' duration. The patient states that the cough produces
yellowish sputum and is associated with fever and some difficulty breathing. She recently
completed a course of oral antibiotics without improvement. The patient also reports generalized
weakness, fatigue, anorexia, and night sweats over the same time period. Her HIV test was
negative 2 years ago.. The patient is afebrile with mild respiratory distress. There is scattered
wheezing upon auscultation of the lungs. Laboratory studies show: WBC 6,000/mm3,
differential: neutrophils 47%, lymphocytes 18%, eosinophils 32%; and hematocrit 39%. Chest xray
shows bilateral peripheral infiltrates and a small right pleural effusion. What is your plan for
this patient?
(A) Sputum culture
(B) Bronchoscopy for lavage and transbronchial biopsy
© Thoracentesis
(D) High-resolution chest CT scan with contrast
(E) Open lung biopsy
c.?
b..
bb
I think we are dealing wtih Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis-----i wud go for High resolution CT scan.
Sputum c.s. if grows Aspergillus ---not specific

What do you guys think
Answer is B. Can anyone explain why we cannot go for sputum culture?
i think that it takes a long time to culture for fungal infection
i think this is a uw qs.

why not thoracoccentesis??

thinking of ABPA, h/o asthma, high eosinophils.
Ithink its ABPA .........so they confirm by broncoscoy and biopsy.............
the ansewr is b but it is not ABPA
for aspergillosis skin test is always positive where as serum asperg is low or undetectable
eosinophilic infiltration of the lung particularly upper lobes
pt cough brown pluge and have hemoptysis
bronchectasia in central airways
elevated serum ige
in this case i think about eosinophilic pnumonia pt has systemic symptoms fever,night sweats anorexia weight loss for several weeks cxr periferal infiltration some pt has bronchial asthma and diag is bronchoscopy and lavage
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »