Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please does anyone know? - lancet9
I took step1 in 2002 and I didn't make it then went to my home country and came back 3 years ago and retook step 1 in 2011 and passed including step2cs. there was almost 10 years gap. if I apply for residency are they consider as a second attemp or first attemp?Because I heard that the result stays in your record for 7 years.

1st attempt
really I heard that the scores remain with you ....the 7 year rules applies for the license .
http://usmlesteps.blogspot.com/2006/09/s...usmle.html
There are no official "time limits" on the USMLE. The USMLE itself does not declare that the exams need to be taken in any specific time frame, nor is there any rule that your scores expire.

Some states have set limits on the number of years to complete the USMLE. Often this is 7 or 10 years. Some states have no limits. If there is a limit, it means that you must complete all steps (time from first exam to last exam) within the timeframe to be eligible for a license in that state.

Residency programs do not have an "expire date" for USMLE exams. However, many residency programs do have limits on how far out from medical school graduation you are, and if your USMLE exams are >7 years out then you're probably over the graduation limit. Some programs do not have a limit.

Thus, if you complete the USMLE's in >7 years, nothing special happens. You (presumably) get a spot in a residency program and complete it. The problem begins when you request a full license in a state that has a USMLE limit. This could be because 1) you graduate from residency and then apply for a license somewhere, or 2) your state requires a full license for your PGY-3 (several states require this, most notably california).

When you apply for a license in a state that has a USMLE limit that you have exceeded, they review your license application. They could waive the USMLE limit and give you a license anyway. Or, they could require that you retake your first exam (to get all of your exam passes within the limit). If they require a retake, you get that in writing and then the USMLE allows you to take the step again.

@lancet: i suggest calling ecfmg & clarifying.

@timmalik: i was under the impression that ur scores r only valid for 7 yrs & u have to be ecfmg certified within 7 yrs of the date u take or pass ur 1st exam...
I was also under the same impression but its more complicated as the 7 year rule applies to your license, not what you score.
timmalik thanks I appreciate it, but the question still remain and I did't get the answer.
first time I failed step1 in 2002 and from 2002 till 2010 I wasn't here then I took step1 in 2011 and passed so if I apply for residency should I mention first attempt or second because everyone suppose to pass all steps within seven years but mine is more than seven years.
I strongly believe that you are now considered passing step one from the first attempt and the first step one you took will not count since you started a completely new application of 186..because remember 186 valid only for 4-5 years....it makes sense...
I would suggest you e mail or call ECFMG and talk about your case. I hope it helps.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »