Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GENETIC FREQUENCY repost!! - zen786
@ zen - so if its not a disease we use p? and q represents disease...? like in this example if 49% ppl have curly hair.... or suppose another question says 8% have green eyes.... so p would equal .49 and .08 respectively? now lets suppose 49% have MI and another example of 8% people have myasthenia gravis, so then this woild be q, .49 and .08 respectively?

sorry for such dorky questions but i am just really bad with calculations!
P^2 = homozygous normal
Q^2 = homozygous disease
PQ = heterozygous [usually carriers]

and yes ur examples are correct and its not just p or q its p^2 or q^2 dont forget the square***
@drshiba even you do it with q^2= 49 the answer will be the same...then u just need to remember p=straight hair gene allele frequency.... This equation shows how two alleles (working on same locus) distributed in population...making up the genotype...
@icanhelpu that would be correct also but ... that'll cause difficulties later on when we try to remember what is "p" and what is "q" ... so if we consolidate p = normal & q = disease we should be set thats y i recommend we learn it the right way rather flips lol Smile cheers thanks for your input!!!
if u don't understand the concept then only you will get confused....and in this particular qeustion none of the dominant and non dominant allele is a disease causing allele...1 for straight hair, one for curly hair...as none of the two is a disease allele u can use it either way....the best way to remember things is by understanding how it happens and why it happens to be that way...thank you...
cool, i think i got it now. thank you
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »