Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tips for pssing step 2 cs - aajkal
hi
i was just browsing through the forum and saw a lot of people have failed recently. well i gave a long time back but i doubt if criterias for passing have changed.
well the main problem is that i think we don"t know what are the criteria on which we are monitored.
my experience is that i studied for 2 weeks and the last 1,5 days made me pass when i met a friend who had taken coaching. we practiced together and found out and corrected our mistakes. so practcing is the key.

now how the sp will mark u. mind u this is from the coaching he took for 500$ and we passed so it must be true.

there are a few points and sp marks u
bad average good excellent

history of chief complaint ( only 1 point for this)

pamhugsfoos each carry 1 point( so around 7 points for them)

so we have to place a lot of importence on pamhugsfoss

now on ur manners
1 point for knocking on door
1 point for behaviour in general ( was he nice)
1 point for washing hands
1 point for draping
1 point for asking permission before examination
1 point - were u able to understand him

and finally 1 point for proper physical examination( which i doubt sp knows a lot abt)

finally there is a q like do u like the doctor and will u like to visit him again

so guys u have to practice according to this. sp has to be happy with u and u should cover his points rather than being an excellent doctor.

this may sound an exagerration but i think even a non medico can pass thsi exam becuz it is not a test of ur medical knowledge but ur behavior.

i think all of u can pass this exam easily and dont waste money on expensive coaching.

nobody does anything for free and before somebody starts looking for some hidden agendas i will frankly ask u to pray that i match at my choiceSmile
just kidding

i have written most of what i remember. there may be a few more points.

i will be glad to ans ur queries but since i am short of time these days i can"t gurantee u my ans. still u can e mail me at arunabh5000

pass this exam. best of luck to u
Muchisima gracias amigo
You have just hit the nail on the head, right where it matters............the examination is that of beviour and presentation. This was instituted when people were complaining about the out of "touchness" of the physicians with their patients.

At the begining, and very much on-going, the emphasis is on COMMUNICATION, then everything else. The patient pays your salary or fee whatever you might want to call it; he better understand what is it you are telling him, and also find you accommodating.

If you don't know, which I think many people don't, you could call your insurance company and report an "assumed" bad medical care(and the insurance may or may not pay for the service). I used assume because it is the pt's assumption that he recieved a crappy service.

I had an experience ones that I went to see the dentist; and the dentist came from another consulting room already in gloves. She touched my tooth inspecting the damage, and I tasted something minty which should not be, because a clean glove does not have mint on it. I reported to my insurance, and ofcourse I found out that she want not paid for this service; she wrote me a letter of apology, and actually admitted to what happened.

This is one of the reasons why this exam has being put in place, and it is not particularly to test your clinical skills even though that is what is called, and with time it will evolve like many things does and get tougher to pass. In the US, we assume that most medical graduate do not pick up significant amount of clinical knowledge until they begin residency and not until lately do we found out that people from overseas have vast amount of clinical knowledge (and lately does not mean yesterday or last year), however, pretty much not in the way we would have liked, it is a good thing but we would like more hence USCE U.S clinical experience.

Dr. Usmleusmle is right keep things in perspective. No strange manuevers just because you know it works, keep things simple. Speak to your pt treat them as you would like to have been treated.

For heaven's sake it is an exam that is registered as PASS or FAIL, just do the simple approaches that you have listed in the FA or USMLEWORLD and you are home bound......pass!

Good luck folks and keep things simple.
Thanks amigo.Are you sure it is just 1 point for physical examination which consumes 6-7 minutes of time....
I particularly do not care if it is one point or fifty because if all the steps are done right which one should try to enforce one should have no problem to earn that one or fifty points.
I don't know the format that all the points are attributed.

I do know that to make things easy especially when one is being judge by non professional they will probably give one point to every mandatory or essential question asked or manuevers. So it will be "did he do it or not" kind of approach............but ofcourse this is my personal rationale based on my experience in this country, and on how things are measured objectively.
gracias amigo. Buena suerte.

Well spoken Tips !!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »