Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q@Qi2? - cardio69
A 23 y/o F present to you for routine physical required for new job. At some point during the interview, she tell you that she is pregnant, has missed two periods and test on home test kit revels POS. You confirm that pat in her 1st tri. During interview, the pat tell you that her identical twin been held in same hospital in psych ward 4th floor. The pat explain over past few months the sis hear the voice telling her she been chosen for special mission. You ask pat if she knows the sister’s dx; pat respond “NO doctor” but express concern for her own unborn child. Pat ask you “doc what’s the chances my own child develop the illness”? (%?)

Q timed.

whatsfordinner - 12/23/13 17:30

really interesting question, dont have much time to spend on it as im at this forum during my study break but im assuming the sister has schizophrenia, what is the hertibility of schizo, not sure, didnt know there was any. a quick google search twin studies showed some results indicating there is some hirability but i dont know. now back to the question - she doesnt know diagnosis of the sister, you as doc cannot check the pts charts and tell her - at least i dont think so. -schizo not like FAP where you need to know the genetic component and ensure proactive medical care ( colonoscopy, etc) now your asking for a % answer - i really coudnt say - if any answer, id say as a doc "id have to know more about your sisters condition in order to give you an estimate or any sort of viable answer"
interested to see the explanation for this one
thanks cardio

cardio69 - 12/23/13 17:39

@whats, nice let assume u are correct an sis dx -> schizophrenia. Now?

whatsfordinner - 12/23/13 19:19

its say 0%?
Report Abuse

miajas - 12/23/13 19:42

I think the baby has a chance of 1.5 % ( as of now) since mother didnt develop any symptoms of schizophrenia.but still the mother can develop schizophrenia because most of the females develop it in their late twenties or early thirtees,and she has a chance of having that 10%,if the mother and her sister is dizygotic,or has a chance of 50% if they are monozygotic. If the first degree relatives has schizo then baby will have a chance of 10%.

Best respond would be; there are other nongenetic factors involved major psych illness
HOWEVER, if her sister has schizophrenia, her own child’s genetic risk for dev the illness ~10%.

What about bipolar ds?

The sister is considered second degree relative to the child. So the mother's risk is 10% if dizygotic twins or 50% if monozygotic, but not the baby's I think because the mother has not developed any symptoms of schizophrenia. Correct me please, if wrong.

Thnks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »