Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question from step2 CK CD - jackc
61. A previously healthy 47-year-old man comes to the physician because of a 6.8-kg (15-lb) weight loss over the past 6 months. He spent 2 weeks in Mexico 3 months ago. Since returning, he has noticed that his stools have changed in size and consistency. He has not had fever, night sweats, or change in appetite. He takes no medications. He has
smoked one pack of cigarettes daily for 20 years. He appears healthy and well nourished. His temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), pulse is 105/min, respirations are 16/min, and blood pressure is 130/78 mm Hg. Examination shows pale conjunctivae. The abdomen is soft with no organomegaly. Rectal examination shows a normal prostate with no masses. Test of the stool for occult blood is positive. Laboratory studies show:

Hemoglobin 11 g/dL
Mean corpuscular volume 72 μm3
Platelet count 300,000/mm3
Red cell distribution width 16% (N=13%–15%)

Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in diagnosis?
(A) Second complete blood count in 3 months
(B) CT scan of the abdomen
© Colonoscopy
(D) Esophagogastroduodenoscopy
(E) Sigmoidoscopy

answer key says C. Could anybody tell me what's wrong with this man? thanks!
1-6.8-kg (15-lb) weight loss over the past 6 months
2-his stools have changed in size and consistency
3-smoked one pack of cigarettes daily for 20 years-risk factor
4-pale conjunctivae ,Hemoglobin 11 g/dL,Mean corpuscular volume 72 μm3-microcytic anemia--Iron def...sign of bleeding
Test of the stool for occult blood is positive

colon cancer???
I don't know. but colon cancer in a 47 year old?
also, his stool changed after he returned from mexico. I thougt it was an infectious disease. But, yes, his weight loss start from 6 months ago, which was before his trip to mexico. you may be right...
Trip to Mexico-**3** months ago... distraction
weight loss over the past **6** months
Family history,*Smoking*,Diet that are high in red meat and fat increase the risk for colon cancer

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »