Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone who can guide - coco_9
Hello everyone,

I applied for this match for IM/FM and got no interview. I do not want to give up on something which I always wanted. I want to prepare myself for next year so that I am not in the same situation again. If anyone can help me by giving suggestions so as to what should be done to become stronger applicant for next year I would be really grateful. All suggestions are welcome, both positive and negative. Smile My scores are below 210 both steps and need visa.
if you have low scores, you should definitely take and pass step 3 with high score and no attempt. If you need visa, this is even more important because a lot of visa seeking applicants have high scores and some have step 3 also so to compete with them you at least need to do very well in step 3 with no attempt to prove yourself against your competition and make up for lower step 1 and 2 scores. Dont underestimate the exam though...its difficult and people with high scores in step 1 and 2 have a hard time with step 3. Study HARD...sacrifice this next few months and do nothing else if you can and just study for step 3 and do very well.

Try to build contacts, do research or externships at places where they have the residency program where you meet requirements, and become familar with the people working there. Contacts help a lot (resident contacts may help a little but Attending contacts have much higher weight).

GL
also, how many programs did you apply to ? Apply broadly and be smart about where you apply. Check every program website and only apply where they dont have a minimum score requirement. Avoid university programs. Apply only where there are IMG and they offer visa. Apply to 150+ programs if you can afford.
US experience (externship for a couple of months ), Step3 with very good score.
Thank you so much for replying sys_71082 and yahoogooglemsn. Really appreciate it. Smile
I agree, step 3 completion with high marks is a huge addition to your file. coupled with some solid clinical experiences at either hospitals or clinics which would allow you to get LORs, because having fresh LORs is exteremly important as well, esp in fields like Int Medicine.
I agree with all of them. Apply in different fields as well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »