Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian Radiologist for US Radiology residency? - preetiahlman
Hi i did MDRD in India and graduated 2006. I have finished all of my MLE (including step 3). I wanted to do the ABR alternate pathway, but its proving to be something of an elusive thing, as my search has not turned up many institutions either willing or currently able to participate in such a commitment. I am going to try the match now and see how that goes....

So my question, being an IMG with "average"-ish step 1 and step 2 scores applying to a radiology residency as a currently trained radiologist......Does this help or hurt me? Part of me thinks that it would hurt me because the PD's may think "well this person already has the training so why would we waste the time?" but the other part of me thinks that I could offer some valuable insights and bolster other residents in a mentoring type capacity.

Any advice/experience/guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks
Please keep in mind radiology can be more competitive. I do not believe the alternate pathway will work for you. Also, your YOG can be an issue. You can only try. Broaden your horizons by trying in primary care fields as well.

PDs may look at your commitment in radiology as a plus. Plus your rad experience can only help you when applying in other fields as well. It will fill the gaps since your graduation.

My two cents..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »