Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategy for accepting pre-match offers (urgent) - aka_jo
Hello folks, first up I would like to thank you all for this very helpful forum.
After 2 unsuccessful seasons, I'm one of the fortunate ones and have been offered two pre-match offers!

I need your advice on the following please:
-Program A offered me pre-match verbally on phone. This being my top choice I immediately accepted via email. The PD replied acknowledging my acceptance and said he will get back after the process
-Now Prog B has offered prematch with the condition that I need to reply ASAP- not my preferred at all so I would be happy to refuse

But, I'm concerned that since I haven't had a formal contract yet from Prog A, what should I decide about prog B? How likely is it that prog A would change mind (I can't think why)? Should I rely on PD's word? Note that prog A is affiliated to a reputed academic institution/title.
Or should I tentatively also accept prog B and then retract later? What would be the consequences in that case?

Thanks and best wishes to all of you
I should add that while prog B is not so good, I would rather take a prematch there than go unmatched. thanks
You got an acceptance and email confirmation from the program director A. That is essentially a contract. It would be highly unusual for anything to get in the way at this point.

Definitely DO NOT accept the position at program B. Especially with a confirmation from program A, it will just take a few days for the contract to be prepared.

This is holiday season. I would stay silent with Program B until next week, when hopefully the contract from A will come through.

I would relax and be happy! Congratulations!
so you don't trust people here enough to name the programs and yet you are asking for their help, fascinating!
@oblongata, so you trust people here 100%? Seriously?
Deny program B or stay silent just like Alexs advised but you will loose nothing either way. program A cannot cancel the offer since there's already emails exchanged in regards to that.

Accepting program B will be a Match violation that will culminate in loosing both seats and being banned from all eras participating programs for 10yrs.

Congratulations....that's the best Christmas gift
Make sure you get a contract if not, it's not valid. That's the only way to play it safe.
Thanks guys, I refused the prog B.. now hoping all goes well.
I will def mention program names shortly.. just didn't want to distract the discussion

appreciate your help

Merry Christmas and HNY to you all

all the best to all
@godonit: yes the contract is still 'in process' (and also the holiday season is on). that was my dilemma but hopefully all goes well
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »