Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme 13 ,Q4 - mdkhayat
A 60 year old man comes to the physician because of 2 year history of progressive shortness of breath with exertion his two younger siblings have similar symptoms his mother died of dilated cardiomyopathy . physical examination shows jugular venous distention and ankle edema there is hepatomegaly. inspiratory crackles are heard over both bases. a chest x-ray shows cardiomegaly and pulmonary conjestion angiography confirms dilated cardiomyopathy. an artial endocardial biopsy specimen shows abnormal sarcomeres with paracrystalline inclusion in mitocondria. sequencing of mitochondrial DNA shows G-to-A transition. this results in an added A:T base pair to the 3' end of tRNA thus shortening the C loop which of the following is the most likely effect of this mutation on mitochondrial function?

A] decreased mRNA stability
B] decreased protein synthesis
C] decreased replication
D] increased mRNA stability
E] increased protein synthesis
F] increased replication
B
explain please
Your basically stopping tRNA from carrying amino acids
This prevents them from transferring to mitochondria for formation of protein synthesis...
It's been a while since I touched biochem but I recall mitochondria has its protein synthesis as well.
That's what's being asked here
zen786 ,tell me how it affects carrying of aas by tRNA?
If you recall Kaplan biochem and also uworld question and your first aid tRNA section.
tRNA carries amino acid
Aug
Gua
and etc and the c loop is the stop area. In this question it fell short hence less amino acid.
If you look at the first aid imagine in biochem Ull get the exact mechanism.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »