Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not treat HSV before 36 th gest week - vesodoc
Hey,
does anybody know why we don't need to treat HSV infection in pregnant pts before 36 week ?
Thank you

PS This is a freaking question from UWORLD. I don't understand it. Like 5 % of HSV pregnancies end up with congenital HSV, so why not treating it when we diagnose it ?
Is there any teratogenecity ?

Thanks
Is it because you don't eradicate HSV with Acyclovir and it is pointless to treat a pt before delivery ??? Come on, I know you know it...28 views and not a single suggestion ?
Antiviral treatment is not usually indicated before 36 weeks of gestation. because episodes tend to be short, self-limiting, and recurrent, there's no point in "eradicating" it when might return again, when what really matters is being able to prevemt the fetus from beimg exposed to it during delivery. Furthermore, though acyclovir is considered safe throughout pregnancy, you want to reduce the fetus' exposure to it as much as possible.
Acyclovir only REDUCES outbreaks and helps SPEED recovery and to prevent spreading of the virus...it doesn't cure herpes. Once u have herpes, most likely it's gonna recur again.
Thanks, faith2015.
I sorta thought it the same way, but wasn't really sure...
Thanks
I agree with failth2015
A
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »