Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kaplan Q bank - cydus
Altruistic

Thanks for input.

You are right about kapLan step 3 qbank.
Hey @khan2020, let me know what you decide on. Maybe I can give you some additional advice as to how to maximize your results from these materials. And if you choose medQuest I can help fill in some of the biostats and Epi stuff that's missing.
Altuistic

I got a week to decide tbh.

Thats when my 90 days start on the dot til 1st day of Exam.

MedQuest problem is it is only 40+ hrs. Not sure if they cover everything even after subtracting Epi & Biostats.
Kaplan videos comparetively runs 100+ hrs.

60 hrs difference for a 2 days Exam between Kaplan videos and MedQuest is something to ponder for me.

But like you said, MedQuest is very high yield, lively and engaging. Kaplan could become a real drag for 3 m.o.

I'm using MTB (kindle edition on PC) & Crush (paperback) currently. Already bought Kap Q Bank. Finished it once, untimed. Going over it 2nd time. struggling out of boredom.

Need to start UW Qbank soon. Thinking about timing it.

MedQuest 3 m.o. will be lot cheaper for me now as Kaplan March 15% expired. plus, I already have Kap Q bank.

Thinking of doing MKSAP IM very late 3 weeks before Day 1 of exam. If I can find a free 16th edition PDF online.

Thanks for helping me out for other stuff in advance.

Hey @khan2020,

Very interesting. Let me know what your Kaplan percentage was after 1 time through, or you can give me your email if you want to keep it more private and I will email you. I'm should finished Kaplan step 3 q bank soon too then will move onto UW.

Yes medQuest is more high yield. But about the 60 hours difference in Kaplan, prob 20 hours of it is CCS stuff and more in depth biostats and Epi and pharma/research ads approach. So it's prob a 40 hour difference Bc you will be doing archer CCS which I'll make up for it. Don't forget the importance of the basic science correlates that ate integrated into those videos at medQuest. The only other sources that really does this is the MTB 3 third Ed and the four CCS McGraw Hill books by Fischer and company.

I have mksap 16 and 17 so maybe I can help you out there. FYI, the mksap 15 actually comes in a cd rom online form so you can do the reading and questions on your PC which is nice.

Prob the most important thing is to do what you feel will work for you most.

Have your seen the new Master the Wards flashcards by Sonpal and Fischer? I know there's so many materials out there but dang they are super impressive. They just have out IM and Surgery right now but will release ob Gyn and peds and psych at the end of the year. Honestly there's so much info packed in them that if all 5 sets were out it might be all you need.

Leave your email if you want and maybe we can collaborate.
Kaplan Q Bank (98% untimed only last 40qs were timed) : 46%

Kap Q bank first thing started to jump start prep. This was well before MTB and CRUSH reading. Last few 40q untimed blocks were averaging 55%.

Finished UW Biostat Qs on untimed mode. This is actually the very first thing I did.

To kick start CCS, I brought CRUSH CCS. Quickly learned lesson, not all review books are created equal even if it is by same CRUSH authors. Waste of time and money. totally abandoned.

I'm doing lots of step 2 ck videos off Roku 4K youtube so far. I mean they run on my somewhat expensive home theatre in my room day and night 24 hrs straight even when I go to sleep. I keep repeating them. Only time Roku is turned off is when it gets hot like after 30 straight hrs of running.

best investment I made so far. Freed up my 7 yrs old dying battery-less laptop for qbanks and ccs.

Thanks for clarifying 60 hrs lost in MedQuest. I think I must go with MedQuest because of very high yield, Basic Sciences correlates, lively lectures of Sonpat and Fischer. Both bringing in tremendous 10 yrs teaching experience when they talk. Cant say say the same about Peds lady physician. She is half a$$ing looking at the teleprompter. just my gut feeling.

Experience in attendings lecturing very important to me as I have zero PGYs experience so far.

I will invest in Master the Wards Flashcards as I alreadly like Sonpat and Fishcher. Never heard of them before you mentioned. thanks.

This is the reality we are all facing currently......

2016 step 3 has 50 less mcqs over all. And min passing score raised to 196 from 190 (2015). The more super high-yield stuff you invest in and stick to. more chances you'll cross 196. As there are 6 more points to get to passing score while having 50 less mcqs comparing to 2015 step 3.

Invest in high yield stuff (videos, review books, qbanks) & confirm all the high yield stuff (incl epi, biostat) and qbanks with MKSAP IM, MTB and Crush. This is my plain and simple strategy so far with 100 days to go.

Prepare for CCS seperately with 2016 CCS mapping off Ebay. Archer CCS video strategy. and probably something else like UW CCS.

If panic mode sets in 2 weeks before Day 1 or day after shaky Day 1. Quickly invest in Archer's 5 yrs old videos subscription and Usmleconsult as there is 2 weeks for Day 2 along with reviewing qbanks.

Because this will be the only time I'm taking Step 3, I believe exam is not over until the last CCS case final orders window pops up on day 2.

There are many ways to get to score of 200 in step 3. Key is never to give up and stay upbeat & motivated despite shaky Day 1. I think this is where even the best of the us get stumped. Not because of lack of preperation.

Step 1, CK and CS were all 100-200 meters dash.
Step 3 is a 2 day Marathon.

Altruistic

how do I PM you.

My email addressed got spammed recently.
Man I agree! We should communicate. I've posted so much on here that if I leave an email I might get spammed and or lots of queries. Do you have an email you don't care about you can leave? Or maybe I can create one just to send you then we can exchange real ones.

Btw, usmleconsult expired, went asystole and we know it's not a shockable rhythm. Don't know why but there's no more q banks there. They are prob moving it to an app or something who knows.

Btw, if you want a quick read before exam then there's a new first Ed secrets for step 3 out.

Let's think about how we can get in touch Smile

I will share my Kaplan score when I finish. Good work on you! Keep pushing, that's a great start!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »