Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple attempts Match - cantfindemail
I am not a medical student, but I am married to one (IMG). My spouse was depressed after failing CK, twice, and hopes to match seemed slim to none. I am happy to report that at the third Match attempt, it finally happened. It was a Match! How?

Try new programs. On the second Match attempt we met a woman who matched into a new program. She had been trying for years, but said her secret was engaging the program from even before the director was hired. We used Monster.com - This site shows hospitals hiring directors. Specifically, we looked for the closest program so we could visit the hospital. This is the time to do rotations, research, and help out in any way possible as the director will have more time at this point and less once the program officially begins. Also, if the program is new, it is very unlikely other people will be pestering the director at the same time as you.

Of course there were multiple observer-ships, private practice jobs, research positions, published papers, letters of recommendations, etc etc The new director was interested in having someone who knows how to publish, was well recommended, and had US patient experience, but this would change director to director.

After failing the CK, my spouse was depressed. I came to this site to understand the chances of matching. There are a million posts about how impossible it is for an IMG to match with multiple attempts, but very few about what to do if this is your situation. I found two or three about it being possible, and we used those to hold on to hope. I am sure this one will help someone else.
Please give me your email address so that I can ask few more questions to you. I have the same situation. Please help.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »