Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Send email to PD or Residency Coordinator? - cylack
I submitted all my applications yesterday, and have one program that I am very interested in as it is in the same town as my undergraduate college (I am a US IMG). I would like to write an email to the program expressing my strong interest and to request that I be placed on their interview list. Should I address my email to the program director (M.D.) or the residency coordinator (non-M.D. / Secretary)?
I think it is better to forget the idea... It is prohibited to contact anyone after you apply... That will be violation..
It's not a violation
It's only a violation to try to do something outside of the match, like if the program says it will prematch with you under the table.
okay!
Don't send an email unless they know you already.
It is not a violation, but your email may hurt your chances of getting an interview there.

Many people do this and right know it's too early to insist. It's a matter of patience. If you know this program sent interview invitations and you did not get one, that's when it may be appropriate to ask.
ok, thanks for the advice. It seemed a unique situation because the program is in a rural location and I have heard in the past they have had trouble getting enough interested candidates. I have a real connection to the place since I lived in the small town for 4 years for college. I want to ensure an interview because I have not taken CK yet, and all I have now is a Step 1 score that just meets this programs cut off and a first time CS pass.
Email the PD, cc the coordinator. Won't hurt to let them know that you are interested in their program.
The best strategy would have been to email them before the application cycle started.

Are you an IMG? If so, don't apply to several programs without your complete USMLE steps. I made that mistake before. Most (not all) programs won't extend an invitation for interview without the complete shebang.

To express your strong interest: You should email both PD and PC. Definitely recommend you send your email now, could increase your chances of being offered 1st round interviews.
To give an update on your application: You should email the PC - it gets added to your file. For updates, wait about a month before giving them, they're busy reviewing the new apps they are just receiving. No point in updating them now.

Hey, it's definitely not a violation to email, trust me, I've emailed a lot of programs before. I can't hurt, and can only help.

-------------------
David @ http://
Nope.
If this worked everyone would do this (and people probably still do), and flood the PD and PC with emails that will not be read or considered.
That's what the application process is for, to give everyone that meets the filter requirements an equal chance of being considered in a certain program.
You express your strong interest by applying, that's it.
If you are called you can save the location argument for the interview to play in your favor.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »