Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about contacts - usmleedm
Hello friends, do contacts help to get ranked highly?What kind of contacts do we need to get matched?Do personal recommendations carry more value than the interviewing skill?I saw people in my interviews have contacts.
Which prog contacts help
This is an unspoken truth and nobody really can tell you the weight of a contact.
If you have someone that can get your name to the front of the line or if a PD or PC knows you know and talk frequently to someone in the program or have a similar background, your chances are definitely higher.
The opposite is also true.

I speak from personal experience. I had very strong contacts (attending and chief resident) that tried to help but did not affect my chances in two different places. I ran into someone that had the same background I had and I knew a long time before (and had not seen in at least 6 years or so), and she put up a good word with the PD right before my interview at the program I ended up prematching at.
I also had the opportunity of vouching for a few people (known and random) before, during and after their interviews and I am sure that helped getting them in.

You don't need a contact to get matched but having good connections will increase your probability of matching.
Thanks nanaki for your explanation.Its worthy to know.Best wishes for future.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »