Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How in-depth is step2 Exam -
Drzelda

Folks how comprehensive is this step 2 exam. Do they ask whats the medicine for a disease or they could ask what are the side affects/ dose of that medicine.
I am trying to figure out to what level should i engage myself for this exam. Any input is appreciated.
FMG - rajram75

Hi

I have just taken step 2 exam. The qusetions were harder than Kaplan in about 20-30%. The real exam covers almost every topic we encounter in Kaplan and some outside the kaplan. (Kaplan Q bank is my experience).

Most of the q start with a 70 yr old with HT, Diabetes, Renal problem, past Hx of psych problem..on drugs for each of those conditions and main q will be something like..
1.Reason for the usage of a specific drug
2. Which drug is the best for this patient
3.which one is the most likely cause for deterioration-either disease/drug
4.Treatment of a side effect i.e., you have to work out what side effect might have happened from above drugs and answer the treatment you would use for the side effect.
5. They don't ask you the diagnosis most of the times..usually something after the diagnosis...Management problems.

They never will ask you the dose..unless there is an emergency ..eg., Adrenaline in Anaphylaxis.

Please practice with timed tests as time might be very tight if haven't practised before.

Good luck

P.S: I am taking Step 1 in 2 months time.I am a 1999 graduate and currently working in UK.As I don't have loads of time, I would like to read effective and exam oriented materials.

I would appreciate yr suggestions and others who have taken Step 1. You can use my e mail ID.Thankyou

ana

Hi

For Step 1, I believe that First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is a very good book. It is very concise, lots of graphics and tables. You may need something else for the test but it is a good starting if you don't have a lot of time to study.

Good luck!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »