Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances -
Rob

Hi, I would be grateful if anyone with more experience of the system than me could let me know my chances of securing a residency position in the USA. I'm a British citizen and have just completed my medical degree here in England. My scores are-
1. Step 1- 75 (not good I know)
2. Step 2, got the result today, 83

I know I have to clear CSA and TOEFL to get my certificate. I'm not interested in the competitive residencies- but would definitely like to stay in the USA if I do decide to come for training (H1B visa preferably). What are my chances??

Also, if I go on a J1 visa, and say do family practice, I know that I can come straight back to the UK and still do well, but could I still also say move to Canada or Australia with US qualifications??

Would be extremely grateful for any replies please.....
Harpal

Sorry Rob but low scores will be likely affect yoyu badly. With so much competition, I doubt much chance of securing position in us. At least u come from decent country in first place, unlike most people in this forum. But try anyway brother
BrazDoc

Your scores are about average for a fmg. If you consider the statistics that almost 50% of fmg´s get a residency program every year, that you´re from England (better yet if from a good school and have good grades/research experience), that you´re a native english speaker, and that you are not going for a competitive specialty, I would say your chances are better than most fmg´s. Can´t tell you about Canada and Australia.
Best of luck
Rob

Thanx a lot Braz doc- makes me feel a little better after the first reply!!!
VM

Hi
I had a friend who with scores of 75 and 80 matched in an Internal Medicine program with a H1B. Being a British Citizen is an advantage. So make sure u prepare a good application(good LORs, Statement, CV) and apply to places like New York, New Jersey, Chicago(also apply to some of the places you like, u never know if they call you). Once you are called for thre interview, then the scores are not so important.
So I think u don't need to worry. You will definitely match in IM, Peds, Psych, FP.
All the best.
Ignore the jerks who discourage you.
VM
Rob

Thanks again- I REALLY appreciate the help. That first reply was a bit dicouraging, but maybe the guy had had a bad experience sure he isn't a jerk!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »