Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when do we get the contract? - bluedeer
March 16 is the match day. how long after that can we get the contract from the programs? once we are matched on march 16, does that mean nothing can change it?

for example, i am get matched on march 16, but i lost my job in april, can the program discard me for lossing job or anything that has been changed from the status before march 16? can i still keep the contract even i am unemployed after match?

please advice
Some programs sent it immediately, some take some time (like mine, since all contracts go through the GME office and not through each department...it took like a month). Anyway, the Match is considered binding, so the contract is just a formality. It will be illegal for them to discard you if you had match there. BTW, are you planning to loose your job in April?
necker, thanks

i dont want to lose my job but the clinic that i am working for is going to close the door sooner or later. i wish they close the door after match but it might occur b4 match. i know it is really not a good time to change a job. but what can i do? the program would think i am fired or i am not a stable person - change job in 4 months.

what do you think? do you have any good idea?
They won't verify you employment status...they don't have the time. Even if they do, they will find out that the clinic close, and it was not your fault.
necker,

if i change job, i will change my address. then i have to tell them i change my job and i think i have to tell them why i change my job. they know i just started to work 4 months ago. it just not a good time to do so.

by the way, what is GME? since all contracts go out through GME, why some give contracts immediately while others some time later?
University programs have a GME (general medical education I think) office which overlooks all residency programs (IM, surgery, peds, etc). In my case, it wss their job to send the contracts this year (and that's a lot of contracts). Usually each independent department is able to send the contracts, so things are easier, since the burden is a lot less.
" GME " is Graduate Medical Education
I stand corrected...I was on call at the hospital last night while answering the post and for some reason I couldn't remember what the "G" stands for. "General" didn't sound good but the idea is the same. Thank you for the correction =).
Bump
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »