Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Joewest / rajat -
DDt

I dont get the hang of what to do about the CCs cases. Like how and where should i prepare for them. I am not too sure about the usmleworld cases as i dont how good they are.
Also, do you guys think Crush and Swansons are enough? I am not too happy with the paucity of material on trauma and ethics in these books.
As always your input is appreciated.
joewest

Hey,
I think studying for the CCS are a pain in the ass. The cases are really simple, but the computer system simply sucks. You really have to be familiar with that. Don't waste your money with the USMLEWORLD cases. They don't even have the system itself!!! all they do is tell you about a few diseases and what to order. You can read that in any book, with better explanations. I hope they shove my 40 bucks....
What I'm doing is I'm trying to get as familiar as possible with the CCS in the sample CD. As far as books, I didn't like Swanson's Q&A format and I didn't like Crush. I'm using CMDT, which is a much bigger book, but I thought it was worth it, since it's a book I already know quite well. About ethics, check the High-yield series - behavorial science (as for step 1), they have a short, but nice chapter on ethics. Don't worry about trauma. There are usually only a couple of Q, and they're very simple.
rajat

well to be very frank i personally didnt like crush and swansons is just ok ...
kaplan q bank is good
and regardin ccs case i have to start them yet ...
i dont have much time left as my return ticket is on 21st so i will stick to the basics ...
will tell u more abt ccs cases in a 2-3 days ...
all the best
rajat

also have u guys got ur permit ... when was it despatched ...
DDt

Wowza Joe ! You're studying from Current?!! the exam's in your pocket in that case. The only reason i put it down was that i have always used it as a reference book; meaning that i havent read it like i should have. Thanks for the USMLEworld tip. It may suck as you put it but it has given you an idea as to which cases to prepare for. That list of cases is the actual pain in the butt.

I just dispatched my application the day before so i guess my permit will take time. at the moment the fsmb website isnt even showing an entry.

One more pretty important question: Can we apply for a H1 from our country of origin and is it an expedited process?

this whole J1 / H1 matter is getting difficult, in the sense of timing at least. My sincere Thanx .

DDt

rajat are you returning to your port of origin?! like wont you extend your visa and stay till the result is out?
rajat

no ddt i m not staying here... not because my visa is expiring(its valid till apr end)
just because i want to go home now ....
i spoke to sum of d attorneys and found out that 1 doesnt need to stay for visa processing... it can be done from anywhere
all the best
Doc - usmle59

Hi guys
I read your messages. Very interesting.
I have aquestion. I am also taking exam(step3). I read swanson and kaplan. Swanson looks old and kaplan looks very fresh. Eg: the best test for cholesterol check?
Swanson said-- No fasting
Kaplan said --- fasting lipid panel. I pulled my hair. Which one is correct.
Pls answer this.
DDt

A lipid profile is a fasting check. That also a 12 hour fast . I know that if the sample is not fasting the triglyceride reading will not be correct ; it'll be naturally higher but i'm not too sure about the effect on cholesterol and LDL in particular.
There are a thing or two in swansons which may not be entirely correct.
I'd use a book like current or harrisons if there was a bit of doubt. Hope that helps.
Doc - usmle59

Thank you very much for clearing my doubt. So you think Swanson is a good bible to pass the test. Ok I will take your advise. I have one more question
1. In Ch. Renal failure we can not prescribe ACE. Can you tell me Why?
2. So we can take blood for cholesterol with out fasting. Pls clear this.
I will wait for your answers if you don't mind.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »