Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
positive Trendelenburg sign - okt3
A 35-year-old male has a history of a previous gunshot wound to the gluteal region. When his stands on his left leg, his right pelvis sags. Weight bearing on the right leg is normal. Which of the following nerves was most likely damaged?

A. Left superior gluteal nerve
B. Right superior gluteal nerve
C. Left inferior gluteal nerve
D. Right inferior gluteal nerve

a
damn confusing but i`d go with dd...the opposite pelvis has to stabilise??
sorry sup gluteal...dunno the side
aa?
oh ..even i didnt read carefully... a/ b
The Trendelenburg sign is said to be positive if, when standing on one leg, the pelvis drops on the side opposite to the stance leg. The weakness is present on the side of the stance leg

wiki...so a?
I gave you a clue with the title + Trend, good job

Choice (A) is the correct answer.
The patient is presenting with a positive Trendelenburg sign. In this case, when the patient stands on his left leg, the contralateral pelvis sags, resulting from damage to the left superior gluteal nerve. The superior gluteal nerve arises from the sacral plexus and innervates the ipsilateral gluteus minimus and gluteus medius muscles, both of which are hip abductors. The tensor fasciae latae is also innervated by the superior gluteal nerve. Damage to the superior gluteal nerve results in weakness with hip abduction and a sagging of the contralateral pelvis.

Damage to the right superior gluteal nerve (Choice B) would results in a positive Trendelenburg sign with the patient standing on the right leg. The left pelvis would sag.

Damage to the left inferior gluteal nerve (Choice C) would result in weakness with left hip extension.

Damage to the right inferior gluteal nerve (Choice D) would result in weakness with right hip extension.

The left and right inferior gluteal nerves innervate the left and right gluteus maximus muscles, respectively.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »