Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Communication and Interpersonal Skills (CIS) - cpmsa
Can ANYONE TELL me DETAILS about the followings of the Communication and Interpersonal Skills (CIS) “

* Questioning Skills
* Information-sharing Skills
* Professional Manner and Rapport
what are the skills in Questioning,Information-sharing & Rapport?

hi

you have to be good in speaking English, if not just make it slow.
your manners with patient
little things like helping them get up, off the bed, taking out back rest.
everything for the patient. just ask is there anything to make them feel better.

i hope it works
hi cpmsa

i can explain you in detail if you could call me through skype
my id is gary277
MY EMAIL IS step2.cs.us.mle
Questioning skills:
advise: get some native English speaker and ask him/her to give you three different ways of asking the same question, choose the one you can master and stick to it. Pt has to undestand your questions no give them the opportunity to ask you: can you please repeat? what do you mean? these will take points away. Remember these pt are normal people, they want to be asked things that they can understand.
Use laymen terms and always look at the pt eyes when you are asking and when the pt is answering, wait until he is done and them you can look at your paper to write, never ask or talk while writing, that is not polite.

Information-Sharing: when the pt asks you about anything (challenging qs) be ready to answer with calm, let them know that you understand his/her concern but "I need to exam you first", or "I have to order tests and wait for results", "it is too soon to give you a definite dx but as soon as I get the results.....", etc.. be recursive but come with a PLAN, plan what is going to be your answer, try to make 1 or 2 pre-set answers, the gives you confidence, memorize them, don't change it just adapt it to your needs, if you don't plan how you are going to answer, you are screwed.
Also when explaining dx, tests, procedures stick to easy terms so you don't get confused or nervous, SP can sense fear not because they are special, it is because your face is going to show it, so again, PLAN, PLAN, PLAN what you are going to do if........

Professional manner and ....: Always smile, try to video tape your practice interviews at home so you can see your real face and how it is goin to look, but more scared. Be polite to pts, don't be judgemental if they say they are gays, lesbians or drink one cup of wine or beer daily before going to sleep, this are not considered abnormal behaviors hence don't need counseling. Counsel if they drink more than 2 a day, smoke, unprotected sex, any drug, unhealthy diet, etc
Please be sure that you take a shower and use deodorant, as per Kaplan, there are points that grade your personal appereance, body odor, breath, lab coat, nails, etc...
Also, how you behave with the pt: did you offer him/her water if he/she coughed, help him to get off or on the bed, did you offer him/her to pull the leg extension if he was already lying down when you got into the room, did you ask him/her if he needed help tu untie the gown, did you explain him what you are doing during his/her physical exam

These are things I remember from my preparation, they worked, at least I passed, took the exam in July.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »