Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oldies - salk88
I am 20 yr old graduate. do I stand a chance? I have been working in public health field throughout. Please advice
yes u can!
Hi,
Go for it. You will never know until you try. Not to mention that U have been in the medical field all these years. GL.
If you don't have a gap, you have a good chance.
salk88,

one can get lots of emotional views from ppl but lets face the truth... there is very little chance for you unless and until u show total commitment to clinical training by doing 1-2 yr of observerships or jobs that have pt contact like PA, etc. This is harsh truth..

dont waste your money in applying haphazardly to multiple specialties in thinking u may get lucky.. there is no roulette.. its a very v v competitive process with approx 10 applicants for every seat.. u may get a few iv calls here and there but when it will come to ranking time, they will bump you down the list

if you really want to do it, then u would need really out of the world letters from 3-4 top faculty members in ur speciality.. u would also need 1 yr of experience working with patients.. if u really work hard and plan right, u may get in..

good luck
Hi Oldy,

Welcome to the club. I think drshankarpatel has given valuable information. I agree with him. If you are able to get a good score and hands on experience then you could make a case for your candidature. I would recommend identifying a specialty that you would be interested in. Looking at your background in Public Health may be a Preventive Medicine would be ideal for you. Bottom line you will have to get good scores (~90's), patient contact experience, and then do well on interviews. You will have to convince the PD why you decided late in your career to go back and do a residency. You also will be competing for a prelim position which is exceptionally competitive but not impossible. Good Luck.

Jhakas
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »