Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J-1 stamp - aa
I switched to J-1 in the US, so my passport is not stamped. I have to travel to Canada and I was told that I have to get my passport stamped in a US consulate in Canada to be able to return to the US. I am a citizen of those few countries that are required to do this. Anybody any idea that how long it will take and whether I will encounter any problems or not?
U r on j1 status .once u leave US u will have to apply at US consulate of any country u r visiting suppose canada. Then its purely upto them they grant u visa or not . Its all abt taking chance .

I hope it helps
Thanks for the reply. I am in fellowship and I am eligible for a license in Canada, so if they give me a hard time over there, I am screwed and have to apply as a refugee to stay in Canada!
I wont suggest u to leave US . dont take chance at this stage of yr career . It happened to few of my friends .they left US on J1 status but cudnt come bak . cus their J1 were denied overseas .

There are still people who went n came bak to US without any problem but again its all luck and even if the risk is 1% .why to take that risk during fellowship
I did that recently,but I had a valid j1 visa on my passport.they are taking their time in my clearence,so I am back in US on my old J1 visa.they didnt cancel it.but if I would be in ur situation,I would not have taken this chance.
Thanks guys;
I love this website, because since I started studying for Step 1 until now, whenever I had a question, I've got the best answers from the people who are in the same boat.
I guess, I have to be prepared to stay in Canada and start working as general. I am serious.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »