Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lor - usmle96
I am doing an observership in a private clinic and i am going to ask the doctor to write me a lor.
But i know that we need 3 letters, so does any one have an idea how to get the other two?
Thanks
ask him to write 2 more... just kidding. how about writing a review or a case report with someone else and asking for a letter afterwards. my 3 letters were contributed from my home country and from 2 US research mentors.
thanks for ur reply,if a professor who know me personally write a lor for me based on my credentials without working or volunteering in his lab, would that be fine ?? as i asked him to volunteer in his lab but he apologized but offered to write me a lor .
thanks
no, this would probably not help you unless the author would just make everything up. ideally, everyone who contributes a letter has actually worked with you. anything else is useless in my opinion. otherwise, i could write a letter for you. just pretend that you were the PD reading a letter from an author who has never actually worked with the colleague he is writing about. you would probably assume that this person is so damn unsocial and difficult to get along with that NOBODY is willing to contribute.

and don't forget: letters and PS represent an opportunity to shine. just making sure that you are fulfilling a check list without delivering quality products appears suicidal to me. here is a sample letter of recommendation:

April 29, 2009

RE: Erlingur Vigfusson

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing in support of a superlative young gentleman, Erlingur Vigfusson, whom I have known since December 2007. Having worked with Erlingur directly on academic projects, as well as clinically, I rate him in the top 0.01% of the many fine students that I have had the privilege of participating in their training. Erlingur has impressed me tremendously and I can only give him my highest recommendation. I will go even further and predict that in the future he will be an asset to any program. He is a winner in every way.

Erlingur has assisted me in numerous situations and has always performed in an exemplary manner. He is hardworking, intelligent, insightful, energetic, utterly reliable, and a natural leader. Because of his gentle, calm and straightforward manner, Erlingur has been a consistent favorite of everyone. He carries himself with humility and with great personal and professional maturity at all times. Erlingur is honest, confident, and able to accept criticism.

In summary, this is an enthusiastically supportive letter. As you can see, it is not meant to be one of those "in between the lines" recommendations that all of us are forced to write from time to time. I think Erlingur is a splendid candidate, and I wish you every success in attracting him to your program. I can recommend him only as a solid A plus and will be happy to speak with you directly if I could be of further help.

Very sincerely yours,

Zinedine Zidane, MD, PhD
Professor of IMG Training
Hellerson University
Hellerson Building 3-456C
200 South Street
Hellerson Village, CA 00000
111-111-1111 voice
222-222-2222 fax
zzidane@hellerson.edu

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »