Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17-alpha hydroxylase deficiency - Physio - drme
I have a question:
In 17-alpha hydroxylase deficiency, all the hormones and substances in the zona glomerulosa are supposed to accumulate, right ? becos there is a vertical cut.
So wouldn't the aldosterone level increase, becos it accumulates. And wouldn't the hypertension be becos of high adosterone?

So why in Dr. Kudrat video, he says that hypertension in this case is becos of 11-deoxycorticosterone, and not becos of aldosterone?
And why does it say in the book that aldosterone is decreased ?

I dont understand, please help.
Thanks !
11 deoxycorticosterone is a weak mineralocorticoid, and in increased concentrations will cause hypertension

but yeah read you question again and realize that you are right. i have no idea about that

lets wait for someone else to shed light!
Hi

17 alpha OH-ase deficiency, yes the aldo would be high. But because of the feedback mechanism RAAS will be decreased and therefore aldosterone is decreased.

Thats why the hypertension in this deficiency is because of 11deoxycortisone and not because of aldosterone.

so the correct thing to say is that initial increase in BP is becos of aldosterone, and later it is maintained by 11-deoxy ! (becos aldosterone is THEN supressed by RAAS)
right ?
@ drme

yes ur right Smile
I'm happy now, a big confusion solved !
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »