Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doubt in ethics - dr_raw
Ok guys..so when a patient has no formal advance directive, and is unconscious ...if half of family members say intubate him another half says don't...and both claim this was the patient's wishes...what do u as a doctor do??
Intubate the patient.

U can't trust that what the family members are saying are the true wishes of the patient (especially since both sides claim it's what the patient wanted). So I'd say if it's life-threatening, the doctor should intubate. If not, then I'd open it up to the ethics/court decision.

I also remember kaplan teaching that the order goes spouse, children, parents? But I can't remember what that was for...
So I read that if there is : no proper advance directive + family doesn't agree on what patient wants then: encourage discussion(1), if this not possible or choice 1 not there then , refer to ethics committee (2) and if that doesn't work then: (3) judicial intervention
Yes, in the absence of advance directive u should ask in the following way: spouse, parents, adult children, siblings, friends ..

Thanx gordon
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »