Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interview exp at SIU for psych - psych_doctor
Hi all,
I had my interview at SIU last week.
They had booked a very nice hotel for my stay plus a shuttle to my interview and back. 4 positions offered per year.
I met with the P.D there at 10.30 am sharp.Pretty serious and strict guy.Asked a lot of questions related to my psych experience,asked to present a case and some questions on drugs and side effect etc;.......I felt not too comfortable and the resident I met with later also seemed to hesitate when I asked him how approachable the PD was.....
Next, i had a tour of the facilities plus lunch with a PGY-4 doctor.there r 2 main hospitals St.Johns and Memorial.around 25 beds in each for psych,no seperate psych ER,clean large physical environment,good library,nice doctors lounge and oncall rooms.Pt load cap at 7.Its connected to SIU school of medicine thru a skyway passage....beatiful campus with large library....good oppurtunity to teach medical students.
residents can choose either IM/PEDS/FM for primary track.
Program has good emphasis on psychotherepy and allows case presentation in grand rounds in PGY 1 itself. 2 supervisors per resident 1 MD and 1 non MD who r rotated every 6 months.
research available but not big.
excellent community outreach program.
1 felowship position per year in forensic psych.
they also have rotations at a state hosp and va etc:
ECT training 1 month in pgy 2.
4th year 9 mo electives and 3 mo CL.
2nd interview after lunch with community outreach program coordinator. very nice person.....common non medical questions....more like a nice conversation.1mo rotation in pgy2 .
3rd interview with asst prof (deals with substance abuse abd psychotherapy) .general and also some questions related to psychotherapy and asked what r the common drugs of abuse in india,ECT,most common types of cases seen in india,stigma for psych in india etc;
4th interview cancelled as person had to go into court unexpectedly.so met with PD again for few minutes.he said "we'll get in touch with you in few days".....dont know what that meant.also was given complete package of info about contract and benefits etc.
follows 80 hr week and call is q5 in pgy 1. salary 42k in pgy1 .
nice city, home of abraham lincoln so lot of history.the different hospitals r close and easily accessible.safe place.good school system,affordable housing.
I will be glad to answer questions.i dont know about visa as i have GC so never looked into H1/J1 options.
Good luck everyone and keep posting your experiences.
Hi
I have a query.I am not interested in psych so much but I feel looking at the current situation with people getting fewer interviews,I may have to think about it practically.I just want to know what is the growth options in this field?A few classfellows in this category already done with residency tell me that there is a limited opportunity for income growth and also after gaining 6 to 10 years of experience,they still are earning the same as a fresh residency graduate.How far is this true.And I am here for the sake of money and professional steady progress,i donot want to be stuck at a single point.Call it arrogance or whatever,but I am too old to be static after such hard work.I am a citizen.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »