Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FM to IM - joe55
Does anybody knows how to transfer from FM to I'M programs after matching In FM programs? Thanks .
Anybody?
Anyone knows how this could happen?
Come on forum !
43 views no replies
You just have to apply again, after your internship.
I don't think, they will accept you as a PGY2 in other specialty
Thanks. What about the binding commitment resulting from the match? Can I ask for a waiver?
Joe55: what you are doing is BAD. When you leave an FM spot. The training fund for that FM spot gets lost and cannot be recovered. I think that is very unfair to the person who genuinely wants to do FM and lost that spot to you. If you want to do IM then do IM only. People who do this are actually abusing the system and it is very disappointing.
@joe55:
Waiver is only needed if you match somewhere and before July 1 you decide FM is not for you. But I am assuming you will complete your PGY1 year in FM, and then transfer to PGY1 IM. When you do this you do not need a waiver, as your contract is signed for 1 year and then renewed annually thereafter. You will, however, require your FM PD's LOR. Getting on PD's bad side is suicidal, and I am sure you know this.
People change specialities all the time. Everyone has there reason to make changes, so I won't judge you. It may not be easy, but it is not impossible. And don't worry in this market, I doubt the program will have a hard time finding a replacement.
I agree with @pure. That it is done 'all the time" does not make it right. It is very challenging for many FM programs to find a person to fill in higher positions PGY2/PGY3 etc and a void is still created because anyone taking up a spot that has been vacated is probably leaving another spot. It is because of things like this that FM programs are suspicious of some applicants who just use them as a spring board to go into other specialties and that is why they look for genuine interest and not necessarily scores.
@attempt, I agree PD's,(an the selection comitee) rank candidates not only for their scores, as many members of the forum seems to believe, but also by your passion and genuine interest in the specialty that you are applying to, and is really evident and easy to find out if you real want to do it, in your IV
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »