Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme qs............................ - perception
A 27-year-old woman comes to the office because of a 1-year history of constant, dull pressure in her lower abdomen that worsens during intercourse and menses. She says her menses occur every 28 days and last for 4 days; her last menstrual period was 2 weeks ago. She does not have dysmenorrhea or menorrhagia. Medical history is otherwise unremarkable. She takes an oral contraceptive. Vital signs are normal. Uterine size on bimanual examination is consistent with a 14-week gestation with irregular contour at the fundus. No adnexal masses are palpated. Results of laboratory studies are within the reference ranges, and serum β-hCG concentration is negative. Which of the following is the most appropriate diagnostic study of the pelvis at this time?

A) CT scan
B) Hysterosalpingography
C) MRI
D) Sonohysterography
E) Ultrasonography

most folks agree, US isthe answ here.what is the difference btw US and sonohystrography.thanks a lot
@perception

If you have any doubt about this answer,
Ultrasound is the right answer by NBME feedback, it is confirmed, Kat and I got it right on the exam.
Grazie...thanks, i am sure answ is US.

my qs is what is the difference btw US and sonohysterography. what is the use of sonohysterography. this term is new to me. thanks
Sonohysterography is a technique in which fluid is injected through the cervix into the uterus, and ultrasound is used to make images of the uterine cavity. The fluid shows more detail of the inside of the uterus than when ultrasound is used alone.

It is ordered when a woman had a normal ultrasound exam but is still having symptoms. This procedure can detect fibrioids, polyps, scarring inside uterus, abnormal uterine shape.
excellent....thank you.i get it now. i read about sonohystrography from wikipedia the other day and it passed over my head.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »