Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17 year old comes to ED after violation - itsthatdo
17 year old female presents to ED reporting she was raped earlier in evening. no signs of distress, no obvious indications of gross injury. not sexually active and does not use any contraceptive measures. physical exam is negative for significant injuries. She admits that she knows the male who raped her and she does not want the police or her parents to know about incident. she states she just wants to be treated for any sexually transmitted disease and possible pregnancy and bounce home. she should be informed that
a. collection of evidence at this time is mandated as she may want to press charges in the future
b. complete evidence collection is not required if she does not press charges
c. her parents must grant permission in order for her to receive pregnancy prevention treatment
d. positive sexually transmitted disease tests must be reported to her parents
e. the police must be notified in all suspected rape cases

fyi, i hate these type of questions
I would go with A. Where did you get these questions from?
shes a minor so this is sexual abuse, must be reported.

you are mandated to collect evidence.

parents not needed for BC / prevention txt, thats easy
Positive STD must be reported to state.

so answer is..... A
@scaredkinda you mentioned that this is sexual abuse that must be reported. So why not choose E?
does her emancipation for std treatment extend to not reporting? Gut tells me E it just sounds like a typical board answer, A was my second thought. still not sure
If someone is not a minor or elder, they can refuse abuse being reported. E mentions that ALL abuse cases need to be reported.

This girl is not emancipated not sure why u thought that.

Only option left is a. You have to attempt to collect evidence it is STANDARD OF CARE
your explanation on E makes sense if that is indeed the case with age differences.

I was confused about emancipation because she is indeed partially emancipated, even as a minor, when issues of sex, reproductive health and/or substance abuse are in question. That is why i posted the question here.
a I guess
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »