Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How competetive preliminary surgery ? - sudha2013
I am looking to apply to next match to preliminary surgery after two years of volunteering with no single interview I also have publications.

Plz I need to know how preliminary is competitive specially that every scramble we find more than 30-40 un filled positions every year
It is interesting, because one year positions are usually very competitive because AMG, who want to do very competitive residencies as dermatology and Radiology, apply for those, even in the so called IMG Friendly community hospitals, but for some reason there are always unfilled prelim surgery positions, more than any other categorical or prelim program
It's not competitive but chances of converting into a categorical position is hard
What step3md said applies to prelim IM and transitional years, NOT to prelim surgery. Prelim surgery is a special kind of hell and most prelims do not end up as board certified surgeons. That said, it's not that hard to get a spot.
can some one apply to preliminary surgery positions after post match in SOAP,( though his main stream is some thing else lets say FM/IM /PAEDS) just to get a spot or to get foot in the door,so by having one year internship , chances in next match would be little boost up.

any suggesiton would be appreciated esp from winniepruh, step3 md,and sys

good luck
bump
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »