Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*Nbme 16- Looking for the right answers - usmlex123
Nbme 16- Looking for the right answers (One line explanation would do..Thanks)

Sec1Q15- A 25 y/o woman comes to the physician because of a 6 month history of irregular menstrual periods and progressive acne. Menses occurred at irregular 25 to 42 day intervals. She is 170cm (5ft7in) tall and weighs 100kg (220lb);BMI is 35kg/m2. Her voice is deep. Physical examination shows dark hair over the upper lip and chin, and open and closed comedones over the face, chest, and back. Serum studies are most likely to show which of the following in this patient?
Fasting insulin Testosterone LH
a) Increased increased increased
b) Increased increased decreased
c) Increased decreased increased
d) Decreased increased increased
e) Decreased increased decreased
f) Decreased decreased decreased

Sec1Q19- A study is conducted to assess 32 patients in a community of 1000 who have developed drug-resistant TB during a 1 yr period. These patients are removed from the community for treatment. Assuming that the risk for infection and susceptibility to the disease is constant, which of the following best represents the number of individuals most likely to develop subsequent drug resistant TB during the next yr?
a) 27
b) 29
c) 31
d) 32
e) 33

Sec1Q45- A 68 y/o man comes to the physician b/c of a 2 hr episode of loss of vision in his right eye 2 days ago. He underwent a left femoral-popliteal bypass 3 months ago for peripheral vascular disease. His vital signs are normal. Funduscopic examination shows cholesterol emboli. The most likely cause of his condition is an embolus in which of the following arteries?
a) Abdominal aorta
b) Left common carotid
c) Right anterior cerebral
d) Right middle cerebral
e) Right ophthalmic

Sec1Q48- A 64 y/o man is evaluated for cough, dyspnea, and chest pain. He is a febrile. An x-ray of the chest shows an abnormal density in the hilar region. Lung tissue biopsy shows round cells with little cytoplasm that are about twice the size of lymphocytes. These cells are arranged in infiltrating sheets that have neither glandular nor squamous organization. Which of the following abnormalities in serum is most likely in this patient?
a) Hyperkalemia
b) Hyperlipidemia
c) Hypermagnesemia
d) Hypoalbuminemia
e) Hypoglycemia
f) Hyponatremia

Sec2Q33- A 62 y/o man comes to the physician for a follow up exam. 2 weeks ago, he was discharged from the hospital after sustaining an acute MI. He smokes 2 packs of cigarettes and drinks 4 12oz beers daily. His diet mostly consists of cured meats and fast food. He does not exercise. The pt tells the physician, “I know that I need to make some changes in how I live so that my heart can be healthier. I just don’t have the willpower to quit smoking and drinking and all that stuff right now.” Which of the following best describes this pt’s stage of behavioral change?
a) Precontemplation
b) Contemplation
c) Preparation
d) Action
e) Maintenance

Sec3Q18- A 29 y/o woman comes to the physician for advice on losing weight. She has been taking thyroxine for several months in an attempt to lose weight. She obtained the thyroxine form a friend who had a prescription. Her thyroid function is normal. Which of the following findings is most likely on histopathologic examination of the thyroid gland?
a) C cell hypoplasia
b) Columnar metaplasia
c) Follicular atrophy
d) Glandular hypertrophy
e) Squamous metaplasia

1.15: PCOD: A. everything goes up. (but dec FSH)

1.19: C. incidence rate is 3.2% (32/1000) those 32 people go into quarantine. so now population is 1000-32. with the same incidence rate, 968 * 0.032 = 30.9 = 31

1.45: basically what supplies the retina. E.

1.48: its not glandular not squamous. must be small cell ca. paraneoplastic synd--> ADH release = hyponatremia.

2.33: he knows the prob but has no "willpower" = contemplation

3.18: taking exogenous thyroid. what happens to gland? due to disuse --> atrophies.
agree with RV
Thanks a ton rvusmle
i tried to work them out.. but confirmation is always required.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »