Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my 247 story on step 2 CK.. - jack89
guys! It's been a while since I got my result. I just want to write my story here because It might help someone who is in the middle of some dilemma on what to do for step 2.

here is the snap shot of my story after I got my step1 result.

When I saw my step 1 score report on the screen, I was kind of shocked to see my result because I didn't expect that low because I got a 229. That came into my nightmares and made me spent some sleepless nights. First I thought of leaving USMLE coz I am a foreign medical graduate and I doubted my capability on USMLE exams. I took a lot of feedback from forums and friends who are in this field, summoned up my courage after an episode of depression.

First, I started with kaplan videos with kaplan notes and finished u world one round and gave an nbme4 and got (217). It was two months before the exam. So I thought I would make 20 more points by the time I reach my exam date. But after I gave nbme 3, my all dreams and hopes are shattered coz I could score( 213) after a month of revision. Then I had only one more month to go for the exam and I was anxious and couldn't sleep that night. I cancelled my exam date and postponed it for the next month.

I reset my uworld and started doing uworld questions along with some kaplan questions from the topics where I didn't do well on nbme 3 and 4. It took one and and half month to finish it it. I gave nbme 7 after my second revision and got (237). This made me feel so happy and I felt like I am getting ready for the exam . So I made up my mind to give my exam in a month. I gave nbme 6 two weeks before the exam and I got ( 258). oooooooooh Big Grin ...that was my feeling all the day after I checked my nbme score. I gave uworld self asessment one week before the exam and got (254). I did a rapid round of revision on those areas where I didnt do well on NBMEs and uworld.

On the exam day, for the first block I got an abstract and I thought I solved those questions from that abstract. later on, it all went ok because I worked a lot on the time management. I divided each block into two parts. In the first half an hour I tried to solve more than 20 questions(20-22) but couldn't solve more than 22 probably because of that start lag/ inertia. Once I finished those 20 questions in the first half an hour, I could finish the rest in the last half an hour. This worked out for me in the entire exam except for one or two blocks where I left 3 or 4 questions in total. Especially for the last block, I felt i was running out of gas but I forced my brain to push it harder but couldn't make to the last question.

Overall, I felt my exam went okay but I thought I didn't do great. I was expecting around 235. I packed up my bags in India and flew to the USA because I booked my CS date. On that day when I started from India I got the result but I couldn't check it because I was on board. I reached to my friend's place in the US and slept for a day because of the jet lag. Next morning, my friend opened my score report and on the first page, i saw "PASS". This made me lower down my anxiety level at that moment and next, when it was scrolled down BOOM...it's ..>>>>>>>247>>>>>>>>> . Big Grin .

I felt so happy after seeing the report.I know this is not a great score but I am happy with it. This would not be possible with my friends, my study partners on skype and forums. I am applying for Internal medicine this year and I am not sure weather i am gonna get it or not but I am hopeful.

Out there if some one like me who has got a bunch of questions and are not sure about the future..all I can say to that guy(s) is... stay confident and work hard. Sooner or later it will give the fruits. I believe that every moment in our life can shape up our personality weather it is a good one or a bad one. We all want everything good in our life but the 'good part' of a bad moment in our life is, it makes us well prepared for the next challenge( it's all about neuroplasticity...Big Grin) ..All the best folks..You gotta go...and sorry for my bad english..
thanks for sharing ..
congratulations
Congratulations! Good job!!!
how many months did you study for the ck exam in total? How helpful was CK kaplan Qbank for you? Thank you for sharing your experience.
Congratulations! Good luck @jack89
@ presteps: I prepared for seven to eight months on and off. But what I felt is, we can finish it off in six months if we spend >8 hours effectively(just effective reading) in a day. I did kaplan Qbank for those topics where I didn't do well on my baseline nbmes In my second round of revision. All I can say is Uworld is the key. I got a lot of questions from uworld. What I feel is, we should not touch any other new question bank( other than uworld) as long as we are comfortable with a particular topic. We can do new questions If we are not perfect in that area but not the entire thing. This could save your preparation time. This is my opinion and might not work out for every one.
thank you all guys...Smile
@jack89: thank you for your helpful input. Good luck!
total prep time>>>> 7months. here is my time line.

first round- kaplan + videos + uworld qbank>>> took 4 months
baseline test nbme. 4>>>>>>3 months before(217)
nbme.3>>>>>>>2mo. before(213)
mtb.2 & 3 quick review, uworld second round, kaplan q bank for weak areas on my base line nbmes(took 2 months for the prep)
nbme7>>>>>>>40 days before(237)
nbme6>>>>>>>25 days before(258)
uworld self ass>>7 days before (254)

REAL DEAL......247.{ If I could manage my time, uworld self assessment would be my best predictor}.
congratulations
Hi guys!! I am planning to give my step 2 CS in Houston. I am thinking of staying in Baymont Inn, Houston from April 20th. Anyone interested, please let me know. Thanks..Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »