Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old grad, low scores, decent interviews -Matched!! - akada1
So first I want to say that GOD ALMIGHTY did it all for me even when it seemed impossible. I completed my exams, all first attempt, all within a year while taking care of 2 young kids and working FULL TIME.
Strategies/Advise:
1.Stay focused, avoid negative people, work hard and PRAY hard and believe in yourself.
2.Talk to anyone you meet about helping whether its with externship or with interviews. you will be surprised those that can help. Some of the people who helped me I never met them before.
3.If possible, do an MPH and some INTERESTING research- Most of my interviews were fun, very informal and they were very interested in my research findings.
4. Make sure your application is very clear and detailed,without time gaps.
5. Get as much hands on US clinical exp as possible, even if its short give it your best. this gave me 4 great letters which my interviewers often commented about. Be humble and polite and not uptight, they want to know that as an old grad you are able to relate with much younger doctors.
6. Finally Be nice to people you never know who is in a position to help and God rewards good deeds.

I hope this helps someone out there. Though not very active, this forum has been quite useful so felt I should give back. Feel free to send an email if you have more questions.

Scores 21x /23x/ CS/ 22x
YOG: 2009
Had 12 IVs- Internal medicine
Applied to 100 programs
MATCHED!!

Congrats dude!!! I applied to more than 150´s program and matched! I applied combined most of them!
My YOG is 2012, 21x,23x and cs fist attempt. I did alot of research with 15 published articles. Some 3 month observership and alot of faith. A connection did some good part of it I think. I got 5 interviews at the end being 2 IM , 2 peds and 1 neurology. I hope to match in neurology but I feel really blessed to match. To everybody who didn´t match I want to tell you to never loss hope and try to get connections. You never know who can help you and try to be yourself in interviews. Anybody who want any advice leave it in the forum please
@akada congratulations. can you please tell me what did you do after graduation to fill your gap?
akada congrats on matching, do you have home country residency?
@virgo32 I did an MPH, US clinical externship. I work as a post doc fellow.
@amulya I dont have prior residency but worked in a hospital before coming to the US.
akada1, can you please give me your contact number or email? I am an old grad too. Did MPH and I have great publications. Finishing up PhD as well. Applying in sep 2018. Need your advice. Thanks a lot!
akada, you are a post doc fellow, so did you do your phd.

@amulya I dont have a PHD but you can get post doc positions post MPH if you are an MD.

@satm300 gusmle31 yahoo
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »