Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USMLE STEP 1 Tutor Mentor - juicebox
Have you been reading First Aid for months and still not passing an NBME?
Have you done the entire UW Q bank 3-4 times and your still not passing NBME?

Well, here's 1 reason why:
1. Stop passively reading the First Aid (this is not a leisure book)! You have to understand each line (not just read it). When reading ponder over the material, get those neurons working. When thinking about the text, try to figure out what the big picture is.

Eg. Your on the diabetes page, you see NEG. Your like uhh!! I do not know what it means. Don't keep reading to the next sentence in FA. Stop and google "NEG diabetes". So now you know what NEG means but zoom out and think about why would First Aid be trying to tell me this?
Does glucose being attached to red blood cells have anything to do with HbA1c?
What is HbA1c?
Why does HbA1c only predict 3 months?
How long do RBC live for?
Glucose being attached to RBC hmmm....what do you think would happen to blood flow?
Is this somehow related to Arteriolosclerosis (Hyaline)?
Is this why DM is a risk factor to HTN?

This process is more active than just reading your text.

If you want a 240+ you have to reason out every single line in FA! Its a really slow process.

I am doing group sessions that focus on how to effectively approach and analyze questions.

I scored a 245 on my USMLE Step 1 exam. I am an IMG and have had the exact same struggles with this exam as you have. So I understand where you are coming. I enjoy teaching Step 1 material. I provide a flexible but disciplined approach with emphasis on active recall/concepts. I have helped many, many students, all have passed.

Feel free to contact me through:
Skype: live:db04e0378ba9bcbb -->copy and paste this into the address bar
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »