Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J1/H1 sponsorship -
drtfasan

Can anyone tell me what it means...in practical terms that is...when a hospital says it does not sponsor J1 or H1 visas?
If you get offered a place in the hospital can you get ECFMG to sponsor a J1?
Sathish - sbabun

Hi there,
If a hospital specifies that it does not sponsor J1 or H1B,it means they are simply not going through the hassle of a lot of paper work to get a candidate through J1 or H1B.They are clearly looking for somebody

1. who is a US citizen or a greencard holder,in that way they don't have to worry about the paper work and can recruit the doctor straight away, besides most of the Hospitals with primary care specialities cannot sponsor a FMG as they don't want to jeopardize their Federal funding and hence play it safe by recruiting only US citizens or permanent residents.

2.Most Hospitals don't want to train somebody who has no intention of staying back,it's a waste of resources for them (on the contrary the US Embassies all over the World want doctors on J1 to get trained and go back to their country of origin) So it's a catch 22 situation for FMGs,a discrepency which exists between the ones who train and those who make policies-like anywhere else in the Western World.Hence they opt to take people with permanent intention of staying in the US.

3.All the Hospitals which sponsor J1 or H1B clearly indicate that they are looking for FMGs for several reasons
a).They can't get local trainees for underserved areas where FMGs come to their rescue

b) Not so good programs which has difficulty filling their positions-if these programs don't sponsor J1 or H1B then it is highly unlikely the Hospital will function as they desperately need foreign force to fill in their positions.

The bottom line is FMGs can get in the East coast of US than in any other regions.

Good luck

Dr. Sathish
London
Sathish

I am sorry I didn't answer your second question,

ECFMG can only sponsor J1 on receipt of a letter of offer from your program director,only then it forwards the IAP 66 to you .If your Hospital knows that you are a J1 candidate and if it has specified nonacceptance of J1 candidates,it is unlikely that you get a offer from them.
Hope this is clear.

Sathish
London
usmed

Yup! That is right. Hospitals which state no J1 or H1...means indirectly that they are confident that they fill fill their slots with US candidates or people with GCs or US citizenship. Then why should they go through the hassle. But one program I know did not fill up completely and still they did not take any J1 or H1. So the policies are all set and they will not budge. Good luck.
drtfasan

Thank you very much for the clear explanations guys. Very much appreciated.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »